Help!! Adding Candy Melts Into Buttercream??

Baking By diddleluvscake Updated 6 Oct 2015 , 7:52pm by jgifford

diddleluvscake Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 3:37pm
post #1 of 8

So I keep having these issues with the buttercream icing when I add candy melts!! I try to add wilton candy melts so I dont have to add that much coloring, but when I do I melt the candy and then pouring in into the the buttercream icing that I have just finished making, and mix it with a hand mixer... however, its like candy starts to harden when it hits the buttercream because then I have all these tiny pieces of candy throughout the entire batch of icing, and its a real pain when I'm decorating because they get stuck in the tips!!!! does anyone have any helpful ideas or suggestion or know what I'm doing wrong?

ps: I use milk or heavy whipping cream in my buttercream

7 replies
ddaigle Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 8

I melt semi-sweet chips to make my chocolate butter cream. If the chips aren't completely melted, I may find a stray little piece here and there. Never used the candy melts. I also use heavy whipping cream as my liquid. You may want to try the semi sweet chips, or even the powdered cocoa powder that's sold where the chocolate chips are. I've also used that in a pinch. But I think you just aren't getting all of your melts completely melted.

Monirr04 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 8

Candy melts are made to harden back up to use in a mold. This is the reason you are having the problem with bits of it in your buttercream. I would stick to using coloring.

diddleluvscake Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 4:12pm
post #4 of 8

Oh well that stinks... I was trying to use the colored candy melts to make a darker shade of blue... I'm new to cake decorating so I was sure! Thankyou ladies!

cakeville82 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 4:21pm
post #5 of 8

To make darker shades color ahead of time and let it rest, preferably over night for the color to develop, this works with almost any darker shade but best for red, black and dark blue.

cheatize Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 4:42am
post #6 of 8

Have you tried adding your fat to the melts then adding your powdered sugar and such? Perhaps the fat would thin the melts enough that they would set up again.

bern25 Posted 5 Oct 2015 , 11:23pm
post #7 of 8

make ganache with the candy melts then mix with buttercream?

jgifford Posted 6 Oct 2015 , 7:52pm
post #8 of 8

Other than the fact this is a 5-year old thread, candy melts won't work in buttercream because of the moisture. The liquid used in the buttercream will cause the candy melts to seize up immediately. 

This would only work if there were absolutely no water in it at all.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%