Teaching Myself To Make Gumpaste Flowers...is It Possible?

Decorating By jewels710 Updated 16 Jun 2011 , 11:13am by amaryllis756

jewels710 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 1:54pm
post #1 of 16

I would LOVE to learn how to make some of the beautiful flowers I see here on CC. However, the only thing I have ever attempted was a tulip, all by trial and error.

I see tons of tutorials on here, my question: Is that the best/easiest way to learn?

Any tips or pointers? Are books better?

15 replies
Bskinne Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 2:07pm
post #2 of 16

There are tons of tutorials, and also you might want to buy the Wilton class books, it's a good place to start. Then you could pick up the mire advanced flower books, I'm sure you will get some good reccomendations...good luck! icon_smile.gif

charlene008 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 2:09pm
post #3 of 16

I am having troubles with this myself! I taught myself with buttercream how to make roses, but for the life of my cant' get a fondant/gumpaste rose to come out. I've watched the tutorials, and have tried many times. I can do a daisy like no other! icon_smile.gif I think if i was to be shown one time that I would get it, but i can't get the "feel" for it. I will probably break down and take a class, that might be the best thing for you too! Good Luck!

luvbuttercream Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 2:18pm
post #4 of 16

I would by no means say I am the greatest at making gumpaste or fondant flowers. But I learned how to do what I have done on here and through you tube videos. With a little patience I think almost anyone can get it. Not to say that I wouldn't love to take some classes that's for sure but definitely start out trying things on your own a bit you may be a natural.

Fairytale Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 2:23pm
post #5 of 16

I am self-taught. I recommend two books: Simplifying Sugar Flowers by Aliso Procter and Lesley Herbert's Complete Book of Sugar Flowers. One of the best things you can do is to take real flowers and pull them apart to see how they are made. Also work with real flowers next to you. Good luck. I know you'll do great. It just takes practice and there is no one right way to make flowers. My avitar is an example of my work. You can also see my flowers in my album.

grandmomof1 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 2:32pm
post #6 of 16

Scott Wooley has some great instruction sheets for about 10-15 gumpaste flowers that you can download for free from his website. He also has some great cutters. Using the veiners make your flowers look more real. I am no pro at making flowers, but the one thing I have learned is the thinner you roll your gumpaste the more realistic the results.

Malakin Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 3:07pm
post #7 of 16

I am self taught. There is no one that even comes anywhere near where I live for me to take their classes. I keep watching though!!! I'm not very good at the flowers, yet, but I love doing it.

I have read tutorials, watched tutorials, especially on youtube, read books and bought the dvd's.

I feel the thing that helped the most was Toba Garrett's books, dvd's and youtube in that order.

Just keep practicing. I still have so much to learn.

MBHazel Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 3:25pm
post #8 of 16

I have taken a number of classes and by far, have learned the most with videos. Scott Wooley's and Nick Lodge's are great. (Scott's are a little pricey) Anyway, I watch them on a portable DVD player right on the kitchen table and freeze it as I do each step. The star gazer lily in my photos was the first one I did with Scott's DVD at my side.

Some libraries have some teaching DVDs available too. You might want to check yours.

jewels710 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 3:30pm
post #9 of 16

Thanks everyone for the wonderful resources and encouragement.

I guess the only thing I really dont "get" is rolling th GP out super thin, how the wires dont "show" (I've seen where each petal is on their own separate wire)...then gettting them to all come together...oh, practice, practice here I come...in my "spare" (LOL) time!

Thanks again!

mmdiez10 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 3:44pm
post #10 of 16

jewels710: If you have some $$ to invest, I highly recommend Nicholas Lodge's DVDs. I have learned some much from him. I much rather learning in the privacy of my own home and at my own pace. Edna De La Cruz has taught me alot too on her youtube videos (tonedna1). Books are great, after you have seen and understood videos first in my opinion. Once you get the hang of it, you will become addicted. Good luck.

Jess1019 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 4:19pm
post #11 of 16

Well, I started with Edna's video for the Stargazer Lily. It is GREAT! Once I learned how to wire petals and paint them it was really easy to apply that knowledge to other flowers. I haven't made that many but if you check out my pics you will see the stargazer lily and the Hibiscus. The hibiscus I did after watching the lily video.

Good Luck!!!! I love it and can't wait to find the time to teach myself a new flower.

mimi4bye Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 4:31pm
post #12 of 16

I have had luck with tutorials on YouTube. There are several different ones including many varieties of flowers. I have a lot more luck watching someone do it in a video rather than trying to read and follow along in books and such. JMO icon_smile.gif

Scarlets-Cakes Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 4:34pm
post #13 of 16

Thank you , everyone, for your comments. I, too, need to learn how to do flowers. I will be investing some time and $ to get the ball rolling. All wonderful ideas. icon_biggrin.gif

Rusti Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 7:16pm
post #14 of 16

Jennifer Dontz has a DVD Fabulous Floral Arranging on cakes that really helps understand design and arrangement of your flowers.
I've learned a lot from tutorial DVDs. Good luck.

mpetty Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 7:37pm
post #15 of 16
Originally Posted by Rusti

Jennifer Dontz has a DVD Fabulous Floral Arranging on cakes that really helps understand design and arrangement of your flowers.
I've learned a lot from tutorial DVDs. Good luck.

She also has a terrific DVD on making roses, rose leaves, and stephanotis. If you can access Youtube, there are a lot of good tutorials there, too.

Regarding hiding the wires, the easiest way is to get a Celboard, which has grooves in it for inserting wires. It's a bit pricey ($25 for the smaller one) but if you can afford it, it goes a long way toward helping you feel like you can actually master this art. icon_lol.gif

amaryllis756 Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 11:13am
post #16 of 16

I just searched and got all the information I needed to learn. Downloaded videos and rewatched, stopped when I need to, and rewatched. I also bought kits from Wiltons. There is a new one out, called Gum Paste Flowers Cutter Set. I love it. It has an instruction book. Teaches you how to make more exotic flowers than the first kit. Wilton did a better job making up this kit than the last one. It just takes practice. Keep on going, and you will accomplish your goal. There is nothing more satisfying than see your work and how beautiful the flower you made really are.

Quote by @%username% on %date%