Do You Ever Put Gumpaste Flowers On Cupcakes?

Baking By Lyndseyb52 Updated 15 Oct 2010 , 3:49am by tracy394

Lyndseyb52 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 9:46am
post #1 of 7

Hi

I'm very new to cupcakes so wondered if you could help please, I'm just about happy with the baking part but I'm moving on to decorating now.

What I wanted was to have a nice big swirl of buttercream and sit a handmade flower on top. On my fondant covered cakes I always make gumpaste flowers but the people ordering the cake know that although it's edible they're not really soft enough to eat.

So should I avoid gumpaste flowers on cupcakes because they'll be given out to lots of people and stick to fondant so I don't break anyone's teeth??!!

Sorry if it's obvious, I'm clueless icon_smile.gif

Lyndsey xx

6 replies
brincess_b Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 7:35pm
post #2 of 7

Gumpaste when it's dried isn't so solid as to be a problem, it's just crunchy. Easier to chew than dragrees I'd say!
Gumpaste vs fondant depends on what look you want. So between your self and the customer establish what look they want, and what the best way to get it is, and are they happy with more solid gumpaste, or would they change the look of their cake to have something softer.
xx

ILoveDaffodils Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 11:27pm
post #3 of 7

Another idea you could try is to make royal icing flowers. They look pretty and can be made ahead. I find that they soften up a bit if you put them on the cupcake as soon as it is frosted.

elliespartycake Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 11:50pm
post #4 of 7

I frequently decorate my cup cakes with gumpaste flowers, butterflies, leaves, etc. Whatever the theme or season. I get Ooohs and Aaahs all the time.

yums Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 12:06am
post #5 of 7

I also use gumpaste on cuppies and the kids LOVE it. It like candy to them.

Lyndseyb52 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 6:43pm
post #6 of 7

thanks for the help ladies, I feel a bit more confident now icon_smile.gif

Lyndsey xx

tracy394 Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 3:49am
post #7 of 7

I use gumpaste all the time for the more detailed decorations. I find that fondant some times gets soft on top. It depends on what you are making.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%