I Do Not Do Simple!

Decorating By Sandysdream Updated 6 Oct 2010 , 2:25pm by indydebi

Sandysdream Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 8:15am
post #1 of 3

You get the client/mother. She (over)spend at one or other party venue for kids. Then she comes to me (no money left) and wants me just to make something simple, because there is such a lot of food that the kids will not even eat the cake. In the beginning I did this, but I am kind of an perfectionist and then I add on to the cake untill I am pleased, but cannot charge for it. I feel that every cake is an advertisement of my work and if people see it they must also want one, not say - I will never get a cake from her. So nowadays I just give my price and if it is not within their budget I am sorry. This sounds cruel ...

2 replies
grandmaruth Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 9:35am
post #2 of 3

Amen! i totally agree with what you said....want a simple cake ...go to Walmart!...I too, cant let a cake go until i have done the very best on it that i can..actually not charging what i should because the extras i add are things the client didnt ask for but i felt it made it look better...they are an advertisement for me, a reflection of the kind of work i do, so it has to be the best i can do.. icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 2:25pm
post #3 of 3

Bride: Oh, we just want a simple cake. No pillars, no borders, no design on the sides.

Me: Oh ..... so you won't me to work twice as hard on YOUR cake, right?

I started telling them, "You're not allowed to use the word 'simple' unless you've actually made a wedding cake." and then would explain how pushing pillars into a cake is WAY less work than stacking; how borders hide the seam between the top and the sides of the cake, so no border is WAY more work to make it flawless; how scrolls and dots and stringwork and flowers hide the little flaws in icing so a "plain" cake is WAY more work to make it look perfect.

No .... they are NOT allowed to use the word "simple". "Simple" just simply costs more.

Quote by @%username% on %date%