Red And Black Icing Help?

Decorating By ang1684 Updated 6 Oct 2010 , 12:19pm by CakeMom5001

ang1684 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 8:14am
post #1 of 4

Hi there, im going to attempt to make a ladybug cake for my daughters 1st birthday.
im a total cake novice apart from the cakes i have made for my sons birthdays, anyway i am going to make a white chocolate/sour cream icing.
i see most ppl use fondant but i find it dosnt taste very nice.
Will it be ok to use the white choc/sour cream icing and what are your tips for getting bright red and dark black icing??
im guessing i should use a powdered food dye as im using chocolate??
Thanks so much in advance and if theres anything else i should know please let me know. icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
beesweetcakes Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 11:26am
post #2 of 4

Hi! Start with pink food coloring and then add the red. Do this 4-5 days prior to decorating the cake. The reason for this is that red gets darker over time. Add red everyday until you reach the desired color. Also, I always make more than what I think I may need. Since it is difficult to achieve the exact same red every time. You can freeze what you don't need later.As far as black, I buy the Wilton decorator icing in the tube. Since you are making a ladybug, the amount of black that you will need is a very small amount compared to your red. Hope this helps.

Karen421 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 12:09pm
post #3 of 4

You might want to use the Wilton No-taste red, because to much of the Wilton red will also make your icing taste "yucky" (scientific terms). icon_lol.gif Good Luck and have fun!!

CakeMom5001 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 12:19pm
post #4 of 4

I add cream cheese (4oz) to my icing (2lb bag of powdered sugar) and am able to get red and black with no problem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%