Using Pictures On A Cake

Decorating By sister340 Updated 12 Oct 2010 , 7:42pm by sister340

sister340 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 1:20am
post #1 of 15

I have been asked to do a cake for a construction business. their plant site is very large and involved. I have found pictures of it and am thinking of incorporating these on the cake. Don't have time to do an edible image. Just need to attach the pictures to make signs, or something like that, probably to stick up from the cake on some type of "stilt". Any experience with this?
thanks;
Jackie

14 replies
Iggy Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 1:27am
post #2 of 15

I need to do the same. I copied the pics in color on regular paper and was thinking of attaching them to a piece of fondant and place on the side of a square cake. DO you think this would work? What would you use to attach the pic to the fondant or should I use gumpaste? I like your idea of the picks and maybe you could use a bamboo skewer and use royal icing? I'm sure someone will have the right answers.

sister340 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 1:30am
post #3 of 15

I would use piping gel to attach the photo. I made plaques of gum paste once for this reason, but I ended up making them too big and they overpowered the cake so I didn't use them. I don't have much time, order came in today, need it Sunday. (It's Tuesday)
Hummmmmmmmmmmm.

sister340 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 2:01pm
post #4 of 15

Anyone? Use of pictures that are not edible images to make plaques, backdrops, signs, etc?
j.

PamelaJ Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 3:37pm
post #5 of 15

I do this a lot! I use self laminating sheets and laminate the pictures. I lay them directly on the cake and use a star or rosette border around them to cover up the edge of the laminating paper! Works great when you can't "draw" what the customer likes! I hope this helps!

sister340 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 3:47pm
post #6 of 15

Good idea, I like that. thanks!

TrixieTreats Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 4:06pm
post #7 of 15

I have done so by printing the picture on regular photo paper, then I rolled and cut out a piece of gumpaste and attached two lollipop sticks to the back of the gumpaste, then let it dry completely. I adhered the photo to the gumpaste with buttercream and added a buttercream border around the photo, on the gumpaste to make it more cohesive with the rest of the design (all buttercream cake). Then just inserted it into the cake for a sign-ish, upright placement. Very easy, and did the trick.

Iggy Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 4:10pm
post #8 of 15

Thanks for the idea of the photo paper. I was hoping to avoid redoing the pics to save on ink. I have 8 I need to do.

Crimsicle Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 6:44pm
post #9 of 15

I've done this by hot laminating a printed image. BUT....I left the sign in place overnight, and the grease wicked up from the icing and stained the sign. I had a spare, thank goodness! I popped a new one on at the party, and it did NOT get stained in the time it sat out before being eaten. You can see this in my photos. It's the triangular shaped cake that looks like a theater front. The names of the honorees were done in edible image. But, because I wanted the topper to stand up, I did it in laminated paper. I'd probably do the same thing again....but be careful about how much time the paper was exposed to the icing. I expected the lamination to protect it entirely from the grease. Imagine my surprise when it didn't!

PamelaJ Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 2:16am
post #10 of 15

In regards to the the buttercream soaking into the laminted picture - I leave a little less than a cm of laminating paper around the picture to "seal" it so the frosting doesn't seep into the picture. This seems to work really good for me!

sweetnessx3 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 12:04pm
post #11 of 15

Ive used laminating paper several times and it worked well icon_smile.gif leaving an edge of the laminating paper around the edges icon_smile.gif on my license cake is an example .

sweetnessx3 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 12:06pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnessx3

Ive used laminating paper several times and it worked well icon_smile.gif leaving an edge of the laminating paper around the edges icon_smile.gif on my license cake is an example .

Whoops sorry dont have that one uploaded because of the person's photo on the cake lol

michel30014 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 4:35pm
post #13 of 15

I also use laminating paper and just make sure to seal the cut edges with my fingernail all the way around the photo to keep the pictures from getting greasy from the cake. And, then, I used piped around the edges of the laminated pic. Usually, the laminated pic is then a souvenir to the birthday person. You can see it in this photo.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1808231.html

I did stand up a picture on this cake using a different method than bamboo skewers or toothpicks. I used a piece of card stock folded with a small cut. The laminated pic I also had to make a small cut at the bottom so it could sit down into the small cut of the card stock. It held it up but I didnt put this on the cake until I got to the party place.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1710869.html

Hope this helps! Good luck!

dianne65 Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 6:55pm
post #14 of 15

I have done the laminating as well. Back in the day though I just used plain old saran wrap. Wrapped the photo in it and taped the back completely to keep the picture from absorbing any of the frosting. Then put a little border around the edge to hold in place.

sister340 Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 7:42pm
post #15 of 15

Thank you for all the replies!! It turned out pretty good. Don't have a photo as I sent the plaque without putting it on the cake as it had to travel. I printed the photo in color, had it laminated. Made a plaque from gumpaste and dried it well. Attached photo to plaque with piping gel and craft sticks to it with royal icing. Thought it was pretty cute. Was a picture of their plant (as in building) with little "working guys" with hard hats sitting and standing on the two layer cake. I am still learning, but love doing this. I am copying a cute cake I saw here , a Toy Story one that is Andy's bed, this weekend. The head and foot boards are brown fondant with tylose mixed in. Hope it turns out as cute as hers!

j.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%