Other Materials To Cover A Cake Board

Decorating By AnthonysMom Updated 7 Oct 2010 , 5:05pm by CakesbyCarla

AnthonysMom Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 1:10am
post #1 of 9

I know that foil or fondant can be used to cover a cake board but is there anything else that is flattering?

8 replies
PatricesPieces Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 1:24am
post #2 of 9

I have used art paper for a board covering. I went into an art store and found several sheets of very unique paper. It had a great texture and lots of colors. I bought several sheets and just recently used a sheet on a demo cake I did. Made for a very pretty board. Just make sure if you use paper that no grease gets on it. I used a gumpaste base under my cake, so the cake was not sitting directly on the paper. Here is the picture....


grandmaruth Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 1:27am
post #3 of 9

fondant, ribbon around the sides...plastic tableclothes, paper covered with clear plastic, just ck out some of the examples in the galleries...there are alot of ideas on the site

mcdonald Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 1:30am
post #4 of 9

wrapping paper, scrapbook paper.. just cover it with clear contact paper and you are good to go!

Suzisweet Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 1:44am
post #5 of 9

You can use royal icing. Put it on flat or make textures in it with spatulas (or other tools). Example...such as blue with texture for water or waves or green with texture for grass or even use different colors together in a stained glass type of style.

niccicola Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 3:12am
post #6 of 9

i always use wrapping paper, coordinating of course. All of my cakes are on their own cake board (so it's easy for me to ice, fondant, etc. and move around) then I place it on the board, so no food touches the paper.

You can always use contact paper on top of the wrapping paper if you do need the cake to touch.

CakesbyCarla Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 3:16am
post #7 of 9

Freezer paper works well also, use it plastic coating side out.

AnthonysMom Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 4:54pm
post #8 of 9

thank you everyone for the wonderful ideas! never heard of freezer paper, where would i get it? im definately going to invest in some contact paper because i saw such pretty wrapping papers, etc that i would love to use!

CakesbyCarla Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 5:05pm
post #9 of 9

The kind I use is Reynolds Freezer Paper -plastic coated.

I bought it at Krogers - 150 sq ft for about $5.00.

It's really great. It's in the same area of the grocery store where you buy cling wrap and tin foil.

Quote by @%username% on %date%