New Shop!

Business By Kima920 Updated 8 Oct 2010 , 1:19am by Kima920

Kima920 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kima920 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 12:56am
post #1 of 5

Hi Everyone,

I have been baking from home since last year and last week I was offered to take over the shop of a friend of mine. She is moving out of state and her sister who works there doesn't want to run it. She knows I wanted to open my own shop and refers business to me when she is booked so we have a good relationship. She has even given me her orders for the rest of October since she will not be here! I am super excited and just wanted to know does anyone out there have advice for me. I am a little nervous about opening the doors to the public but I do have some help. I just hope I get into the groove of things quickly because her shop has been quite popular since she opened. I have to get a few things for the shop that she taking with her but most of the stuff she is leaving since she can't take it with her and sister will be still working there. So I have lucked up but I just wanted to know if anyone has any advice for me. Thanks
Kima

4 replies
cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 3:38am
post #2 of 5

I would start reading the business forum and putting together a business plan. Maybe your friend will let you read hers? I'd also start looking into insurance and tax stuff.

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 4:48am
post #3 of 5

Congratulations! What a great opportunity for you.

I would make sure that you build on the success of the prior business but also incorporate your own personal style. It's your show now and you will need to define who you are and what you are offering. JMO.

Best of luck to you and keep us updated on your shop!

IsaSW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IsaSW Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 2:24pm
post #4 of 5

icon_surprised.gif
Congratulations!
What a great opportunity for you.

I just read a book called: accounting for small business, awesome book!
I recommend it.

Kima920 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kima920 Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 1:19am
post #5 of 5

Thanks Guys!
I already took a business class and I have to go to the tax office to the permits switched over and there are some things I still need to buy. But phone calls are coming every day its crazy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%