Fiori Di Sicilia Extract

Baking By Kellbella Updated 31 Mar 2014 , 6:26am by ladyblahblah

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 11:55pm
post #1 of 9

Has anyone used this in any recipe? I bought this from Silver Cloud Estates (I love their products) and this sounded interesting in it's description, but when I got it and opened it it smells almost like perfume! I am now afraid to try it in a cake, etc. Has anyone used this and how did it taste?

8 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 12:22am
post #2 of 9

I have not used it, but I have seen it on kingarthurflour.com. According to the reviews on the website, it's the bomb, but only use it in TINY amounts. Here's the link to their product-maybe some of the reviews will help you.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/fiori-di-sicilia-1-oz

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 9:53pm
post #3 of 9

I have only used the one from King Arthur and it is AMAZING - my hands-down absolute favorite flavor of all time. I have tried other brands and found them too perfumey. Since it is "Sicilian Flower" - roughly translated - it should be quite floral, but it needs to be citrus-y enough to balance it out. Try it in your next vanilla buttercream or in a dense chocolate cake. It is one of those flavors people love and can't figure out what exactly they are tasting. You need more than a drop or two - I'd play with the buttercream first. I have noticed the longer the product sits (like buttercream) the more intense the floral notes come across.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 12:25am
post #4 of 9

O.K., thanks to both of you, I think I'll experiment this weekend and see how it does! Thanks again. thumbs_up.gif

ladyblahblah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyblahblah Posted 24 Mar 2014 , 5:02pm
post #5 of 9

I have used this extract for years! It is absolutely wonderful. I use it in my cake decorating. Everyone always wants to know the secret ingredient. This is expensive stuff. A little goes a long way. NEVER be afraid to use this stuff ... no more than 1/2 tsp. per regular 8-10 inch cake. The reason it smells like perfume is because it comes from unique citrus flowers from Italy. This is a flavor combination you can not get here anywhere that I know of. Bottom line is ... if you like this flavor and smell ... use it!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 24 Mar 2014 , 5:14pm
post #6 of 9

ladyblahblah...can I ask what brand you use?

lark6209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lark6209 Posted 24 Mar 2014 , 5:41pm
post #7 of 9

The first time I've had any significant thing to post!  I usually just lurk around learning from everyone else.

I love the one from KAF and use it a lot.  As everyone says, a little goes a long way, but I've been really surprised at what it does to some of my favorite recipes. Used sparingly, it's one of those flavors that marries well with chocolate or vanilla and makes them taste a little more special somehow.

Give it a try!

Eachna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eachna Posted 25 Mar 2014 , 2:42pm
post #8 of 9

Fiore de Sicilia is "Flowers of Sicily" extract.

The recipe varies but should have some citrus, some vanilla, and some flower scents. The original recipe includes Sicilian orange blossoms, but there are other things mixed in, which is part of what makes it so difficult to identify :D.

I mix my own (since I can't buy it in Australia) and I mix lemon extract, vanilla extract, orange extract, and rosewater. To make your own, mix two parts vanilla extract with one part lemon extract, one part orange extract, and one part either orange blossom extract or rosewater extract (preference to the orange blossom extract).

I use mine in cannoli cream, panettones, granita, and biscotti (among other things). It's also good for something like a Victoria sponge (since the sponge has a mild flavor) to brighten it up without going overboard. Use it in small measures. 1/4 to 1/2 a teaspoon is PLENTY for a single layer 8/9" cake, or a single batch of cookies.

With a bit of experimentation you can also add it to simple syrup (in place of vanilla). This is how I use it for granita (which is a Sicilian shaved ice treat). My granita lemon syrup recipe is:

1 quart water and 3/4 cup sugar (boil together into a simple syrup).

After turning off the heat, add:  the juice and zest of 4 lemons. Let cool about 30 minutes.

add 1 teaspoon Fiore de Sicilia (optional)

If you don't have exactly 4 lemons, you want a simple syrup (2:1 water to sugar) with approximately as much sugar as lemon juice. I'd estimate about 1/4 tsp Fiore per fruit. Then use it as you would any simple syrup (to moisten layers of cake, or as liquid for buttercream, etc).

ladyblahblah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyblahblah Posted 31 Mar 2014 , 6:26am
post #9 of 9

Thank you for sharing your recipe... blessings!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%