Keep Cakes From Going Flat In The Middle

Baking By TSmith Updated 6 Oct 2010 , 12:12am by Bskinne

TSmith Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 11:40pm
post #1 of 4

when i am baking my cakes and they get done i check them to see if they are done and then when i get it out of the oven sometimes they go flat in the middle and sink in then i have to use alot of icing to make it look level. what is going on with my cake??

3 replies
suzied Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 11:52pm
post #2 of 4

Could be several reasons:. may be too much sugar or baking powder added. i presume its a sponge or butter cake - not fruit i hope. oR check the rubber sealing where the overn door meets the oven, if its old replace it. Heat may be escaping. Have you tried placing one of those flower nails in the center of the cake. that helps. Do you let your oven "preheat to the correct temperature, ( when the overn light goes off) before placing your cake in? HTH

imagenthatnj Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 11:55pm
post #3 of 4

It has never happened to me... but here's some advice from other places. I always make sure not to do the things they tell me not to do.

Cakes will sink or fall because:

1). Overbeating too much air is incorporated into batter.

2). Underbaking - Oven temperature too low and/or too short a baking time.

3). Over or under measurement of liquid or under measurement of flour.

4). Using too small or large of a baking pan.

5). Moving or jarring cake before sufficiently baked or opening the oven door before cake sets.

Note: Only open oven door if absolutely needed, one-half to three-quarter's way through baking.

6). The most common error has to do with the oven temperature. Make sure you have an oven thermometer to test your oven for accuracy.

7). Depending on the recipe if you fold in egg whites, if not beaten fully or folded in too harshly, the cake could fall.

icon_cool.gif. Even creaming the butter and sugar too much or too little can cause problems.

I've also heard this other advice a lot (especially the "too much leavening" which you would think won't make your cake sink!):

The Wrong Type of Flour
If using unbleached flour for a butter cake in which the butter is used in softened form, as opposed to melted as for a genoise, the cake will dip in the center about 5 minutes after baking. This is because the smooth flour particles of unbleached flour cannot effectively hold the butter is suspension. So use bleached cake flour or bleached all-purpose flour.

Too Weak a Structure
This is usually due to too much leavening. Try dropping the baking powder by 1/4 teaspoon.

The larger the cake, the less amount of baking powder per cup of flour is used. This is because the distance from the sides of the pan to the center are greater so that they batter needs a stronger structure to support itself.

Hopefully, some other people will answer your question. By the way, the questions says "flat in the middle" and we all want that. What we don't want is for them to "sink in the middle"

Bskinne Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 12:12am
post #4 of 4

Nice info, imagenthatnj! icon_smile.gif
until you figure out the issue, Tsmith, I'd suggest leveling the cakes so you don't have to use icing to level them.... icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%