For Those Who Don't Use The Sps Cake Stacking System

Decorating By Coral3 Updated 6 Oct 2010 , 2:34am by mareg

Coral3 Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 10:26pm
post #1 of 5

For those who DON'T use the SPS cake stacking system, what do you do to 'stick' tiers together. I've only ever made one 2 tier and one 3 tier cake and both times I put a bit of ganache (which is what I've always used underneath the fondant layer) straight on the top of the bottom cake to 'glue' the next one on. I'm assuming this is not the right way to go about it, I've never had any kind of lessons or anything on cake decorating and just figure things out as I go along. I don't like the surface of the bottom tiers being so messy-looking when the tiers are disassembled for cutting. So what should I be doing? Do other people use icing (perhaps royal icing?) to 'glue' cakes together at all?

(The SPS system that everyone raves about is not sold anywhere here in Australia as far as I can find, and the shipping will make it way too expensive if I buy from O/S, so it's not really an option for me at this point)

4 replies
Coral3 Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 10:29pm
post #2 of 5

Oh, and the boards I've been using under each tier are the sturdy foil-covered type (not cardboard) - if that makes any difference?

debster Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 10:47pm
post #3 of 5

I use a crusting buttercream and let it crust then stack directly on, my icing never pulls off. I've heard of people putting coconut underneath, but I'm not a fan of that. Maybe use royal if you think you need something.

TrixieTreats Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 10:52pm
post #4 of 5

I use a bit of whatever I ice with (or what is under the fondant, i.e. buttercream or ganache) just a little bit in the center and over the opening of the straws or plastic or dowels inserted in the the bottom tier for support. Then I place the next tier on top and continue from there. I also always use a center dowel to hold it all in place. I use regular cardboard cake boards or foam core board. This is the method I was taught in a wedding cake class, and it has always worked for me without fail. It also happens to be the cheapest. Then again, I have never done more than 4 tiers, so this has always sufficed.

mareg Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 2:34am
post #5 of 5

I use buttercreme. I always use a dowel down the center too if I have to transport it. Hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%