Need Help With Icings!!!!

Baking By shana102083 Updated 6 Oct 2010 , 6:42pm by shana102083

shana102083 Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 9:44pm
post #1 of 3

I have a question. I am making a 3 tiered chocolate cake with a peanut butter filling that will be covered in fondant. I have not really experimented with any icings other than the basic crusting Wiltons recipe. What would go well with the flavor cake that I'm doing and if it doesn't crust is it ok to cover in fond
ant? I know that with the crusting buttercream once you peel the fondant off sometimes it takes the butter cream with it. And with non crusting. Frostings when you go to cover it will it just ooze off with the weight of the fondant?

I appreciate your help!

2 replies
TrixieTreats Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 10:16pm
post #2 of 3

I would do a chocolate buttercream or ganache. For a super easy chocolate buttercream, you can just add cocoa powder to your existing buttercream recipe. Just keep adding it to achieve your desired chocolate taste. You will probably need at least about 1/4 cup for a small batch. If it stiffens up, at more liquid to balance the consistency. If you are comfortable doing so, ganache is also really great. Cool it to a spreadable consistency and frost for a richer chocolate frosting or you can cool to spreadable consistency and whip it then frost. I always use crusting buttercream, so can't help you with your last question.

shana102083 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 6:42pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you so much for the idea. I think I will do the ganache. I just hope it doesn't tear the cake when I try and spread it on. I have never made it so I'm not sure of recipes or anything like that, so I better start researching!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%