A Question For The Pro's

Decorating By YOUnique_Cakes Updated 6 Oct 2010 , 6:51pm by mareg

YOUnique_Cakes Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 8:04pm
post #1 of 16

I have been making cakes for about 5 months now but without a doubt this is the direction I wanna take my life and open a new business. I have looked into leasing some commercial kitchen space to start out. As this becomes a little closer to a reality I have been getting very nervous. I believe I learn very easily and until this point I have been self taught and have learned some things off the internet. But!!! With that being said I have never done a over a 3 tier cake and I have never done a carved cake and I have never delivered a big cake either. My question for the pro's is how did you all learn these things before going into business???? Was it through working for someone else or trial and error???? I very much so believe in my abilities but when your talking about someones wedding day and their cake you have to know that you know you can pull it off!! I've sent some emails out to some bakeries regarding a part time job but I am 3 to 4 hours away from all of them and would have to travel to work with them and plus I don't want someone to think I am trying to learn from them just to turn around and be competition because that is not the case. I need advice please!!!!! How did all of you get started???? Is there any books or video's you would recommend?? PLEASE HELP!!

15 replies
all4cake Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 8:36pm
post #2 of 16

There's still a multitude of things I haven't done but, given the opportunity would take them on in a heartbeat!

Trial and error...

if something comes up that I've not done before, I make extras ...cake, icing, details....for goof ups. I don't believe you have to know everything to be successful. You just have to be willing to learn constantly.

Darthburn Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 9:21pm
post #3 of 16

The first thing you have to remember is that you....

Oh crap! I'm sorry. Your question was for the PRO's.

That I am DEFINATELY not! icon_smile.gif

Lol. Good Luck

YOUnique_Cakes Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 9:32pm
post #4 of 16

LOL sorry Darthburn, definitely didn't mean it like that. I guess I just meant seasoned veterans or shop owner or home bakeries. Just someone who has been doing order for cakes and has encountered some of these issues.

leah_s Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 10:28pm
post #5 of 16

I went to culinary school for pastry.

Three weeks after I graduated I marched myself to a wedding show, set up a table, handed out biz cards that I ran off on my computer.

And started booking cakes. (I was licensed at this point.)

I just never thought about what I couldn't do, or even considered the possibility of failing.

mareg Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 2:29am
post #6 of 16

Can you take the wilton cake decorating classes. I made cakes for many years and fir some reason taking those classes gave me the confidence to make them for others. I didn't think I would learn that much, but I did learn a little and gained confidence.
Hope this helps.
Ps: I am self taught too. icon_smile.gif

madgeowens Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 2:45am
post #7 of 16

I am NOT a PRO, but your cakes are awesome...............you are doing great....get some confidence....and go for that dream....you know plenty from the looks of your cakes...nice clean great work..........stop doubting yourself....best of luck!!!!

saberger Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 2:54am
post #8 of 16

If you can do a 3-tier, then you can figure out how to do a 7 tier. Same concept. Carving? Either practice at home or don't do or only start with easy ones such as a purse or somehting like that). Take as many classes as you can, get Sugarshack's DVD's, check out all of the books at the library, take a deep breath and GO. If it isn't too difficult for you to rent kitchen space, then do it so you can get business. As you get orders, you will have the choice to take the order or say you are booked. And you have the choice to USE that order as a learing experience. I can assure you that I had never made a 5 foot cake before starting my biz, nor had I made certain gumpaste flowers, nor had I worked with RKT. BUT, every time I had an order I was able to learn something else. I felt as if I had had a good enough foundation to figure it out. Granted, I have had to learn how to use power tools and engineering since being in biz - but HEY...I am learning something! I also use certain events as a practice. Example: I always wanted to make a tree with RKT, so I made it for my DS graduation party and know what I would do for the next time. When I take on an order for something new, I am sure to leave enough time for screw ups and slow work so I can get it right.

Good luck!

mareg Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 2:56am
post #9 of 16

BTW. Your cakes are awewdome!

Apti Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 3:14am
post #10 of 16

Younique cakes, your cake photos show a wealth of experience already, so you won't have any problems doing larger cakes. Since you have done so well being "self-taught", I agree that you should buy the entire set of Sharon Zambito's dvds. (sugared productions . com). Looking at the cakes you've done in your first 5 months, you can probably do anything at this point.

I think the main thing you need to concentrate on is the BUSINESS aspects of what you plan to do, not the fun, creative, sugar stuff. The yucky taxes, business plan, payroll, rental property, water leaks, stove not working, flat tire when you have to deliver, pricing, invoicing, being firm with customers, are your making a profit, etc.

Apti Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 3:21am
post #11 of 16

younique, here's a link to another thread running right now about starting your own business:

YOUnique_Cakes Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 3:21am
post #12 of 16

Well you all have been awesome and very helpful. Thanks you so much for the kind words about my cakes. You all also have some fine works. I know I can do it, I guess I need to jump in feet first and just get it done. I will look for all of those DVD's and any class I can find I will take it, even if I do have to drive 5 hours lol. Again thanks to all of you!!!

madgeowens Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 4:14am
post #13 of 16

younigue.....on youtube...look for tonedna....she will teach you so much....personally I don't think you need too many classes, your work is very good....but this field is continued education I think...to keep current, if your in business....good luck

Ruth0209 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 4:52am
post #14 of 16

YOUnique, the last cake you posted is INSANE! That is one fabulous cake. You've definitely got lots of talent.

I am self taught (except for one Wilton class) I recommend watching every video you can get your hands on and just learn as you go along. Learn everything you can from sites like this and others.

When I first started I knew my friends liked my cakes, but I was terrified that strangers wouldn't. That wasn't the case. I am, however, still very careful to only accept orders for cakes that I know I can do well. Do practice cakes to learn new techniques until you've mastered them. Also, work on lots of recipes and build on your baking skills.

Great luck to you!

Unlimited Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 6:23am
post #15 of 16
Originally Posted by YOUnique_Cakes

without a doubt this is the direction I wanna take my life and open a new business.

...and plus I don't want someone to think I am trying to learn from them just to turn around and be competition because that is not the case.

I think you contradicted yourselfhow is this not the case? Is it because you would open your new business in a different area that would not be their direct competition?

If you are able to find a job at a bakery, you'll never regret the knowledge and experience that you'll learn from it. At least it will better prepare you for what you want to do in the future. Best of luck!

mareg Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 6:51pm
post #16 of 16

OMG. Sorry for the typos! Can't type on an iPod!

Quote by @%username% on %date%