Help! Chocolate Spider Webs

Baking By JS605 Updated 23 Oct 2012 , 2:05pm by letsgetcaking

JS605 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JS605 Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 6:09pm
post #1 of 9

This will be my first attempt at using chocolate.

I am making spider man cupcakes and want to make spider webs out of chocolate. Any Advice?

My plan is to melt down chocolate and pipe a spider web onto parchment paper and stick it in the freezer to harden.
(Im afraid it will end up melting late though)

Does anyone have a better way to do this and is there any other way to use the chocolate then to melting it?

THanks!

8 replies
CakesbyCarla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCarla Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 6:31pm
post #2 of 9

Do you want the webs sticking up somehow or is it okay that they lay down on the top of the cupcake?

If they don't need to be rigid, I'd say just pipe melted chocolate or chocolate frosting (or even black piping gel) straight onto the cup cake.

If you want them rigid, maybe take chocolate almond bark, pipe the shapes onto wax paper, let them set up and stick them onto the cupcakes. Almond bark doesn't melt that easily and stands up really well. Plus, it's easy to put into a decorator bag, pop it in the microwave and then snip off the tip and pipe etc.

Good luck!

yums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 6:36pm
post #3 of 9

I think it depends on the look you are going for. Do you want them to stick up or be flat? If stick up melting and piping into a web is the only way I can think of. But if you are going for flat you could make a pattern and sprinkle cocoa powder over it, or you could do it by melting the chocolate and making circles on the cuppy and pulling a toothpick through to get the lines. I don't think you should have a problem with the chocolate re-melting either way you go.

JS605 Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 6:43pm
post #4 of 9

I am defintely wanting them to stand up on the cupcakes.

JS605 Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 6:45pm
post #5 of 9

Cakesbycarla... where would I get chocolate almond bark?

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 6:46pm
post #6 of 9

If you don't care about the webs sticking up, this is a quick way you can get the design on top of the cupcake:

1. Frost the cupcake in any color you like:

2. Pipe a swirl starting at the center of the cupcake working to the outer edge using your melted chocolate.

3. Use a toothpick to drag "lines" through the spiral from the center to the outside edge, creating a cool-looking web.

Here's a quick tutorial on a cookie, but it'll give you the basic idea:

http://letsgetcaking.blogspot.com/2009/10/spiderweb-cookies.html

letsgetcaking Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 6:50pm
post #7 of 9

Oops...sorry. It took me too long to post.

You can buy almond bark in the baking aisle of pretty much any grocery store. It's actually cheaper than chocolate. Here's an image of how they're often packaged:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:AdfWBgSIF8LFmM:http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii145/Allen1901/assort_6.jpg&t=1

JS605 Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 6:55pm
post #8 of 9

thanks for your help guys!!! Ill post a picture of how they turn out!!!

letsgetcaking Posted 23 Oct 2012 , 2:05pm
post #9 of 9

I know this is old, but I just checked out your Spiderman cupcakes, and the standing webs turned out so cool!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%