Any Advice On A Sheet Cake?????

Decorating By MadEm Updated 6 Oct 2010 , 6:30am by beenie51

MadEm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadEm Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 5:19pm
post #1 of 5

I need some helpful advice. Any tips will be much appreciated. This will be my first sheet cake. Some of questions are:

This is a full sheet cake, How do I charge? I know the grocery store charges about $72, but they wan this cake frosted and then some fondant detail (a monkey face & polka dots)

Is it better to use two half sheets? Or 4 quarters?

If I use two half sheets will you see a dip in the middle where the two cakes meet?

Any advice will be much appreciated. As far as frosting it or baking it. ANYTHING. Thanks in advance.

4 replies
novice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
novice Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 5:33pm
post #2 of 5

I don't sell cakes so can't help with that. I have done two halfs and "joined" them because my oven doesn't fit a whole sheet. The key is to be sure the board is very sturdy, so the cakes are supported, and the frosting won't crack at the join. If there is an edge on the cake, trim it so the two will be side by side from top to bottom along the join.

I use baking strips to get a nice level cake. If I should get a slight rise in the center, I press down as soon as the cake comes out of the oven to even off. If you prefer to level, you can do that instead. As long as the top is smooth (no rise), you won't notice the join.

SweetSyren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSyren Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 12:08am
post #3 of 5

I also don't sell my cakes so I won't be any help on the pricing but I have seen postings about cakes prices and it looks like most people charge by the amout of cake being served. A 1/2 sheet cake, (12 x18 per my Wilton book) serves 72 so a full sheet cake ( 2 12x1icon_cool.gif will give you 144 servings. How much do you charge per serving?

As far as baking and decorating, I also use baking strips which gives me a fairly flat top surface. I use the bottom of the cake as my top so it is perfectly flat. Crumb coat then let crust before I ice it one final time.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 5:50am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSyren

A 1/2 sheet cake, (12 x18 per my Wilton book) serves 72 so a full sheet cake ( 2 12x1icon_cool.gif will give you 144 servings.

If you read the key in your Wilton book, it says 72 party cake servings for a two-layer 12x18, so two 12x18s serve 72.

According to the Wilton wedding cake guide, two 12x18 wedding cake servings are 98.
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

beenie51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beenie51 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 6:30am
post #5 of 5

When I bake my cakes I fill the pans so that the cake rises over the pan a little. When the cake is cool I then place back in the pan and level. So When I put 2, 1/2 sheet cakes together they are level. As stated before make sure the board you place the cakes on is sturdy this will help prevent the cakes from cracking in the middle.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%