Help, Im Making A Lady Bug Cake!!!

Decorating By Donny13 Updated 7 Oct 2010 , 5:03pm by trishvanhoozer

Donny13 Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 7

It has to feed about 35 ppl. I started dying Duff's fondant red last night, i was going to bake 2 12" rounds, stack and carve them for the body, then use a 6-8" round for the head, i was going to buy Duff's black fondant cuz i hear that the more u dye fondant the worse it tasts, i just have an issue with the fondant being overworked. I just wanted to know if this is the route that you guys would take? I was also gonna paint the cake board green with veins to resemble a leafe and if there was room on the board i would dye some fondant purple and have the ladybug on a purple flower petal (birthday girls favorite color) the board will also be trimmed in purple ribbon. Please give me your honest opinion and if you can give me any pointers on sculping im very nervous, its my first "paying" cake job and i want it to be perfect, any advice you guys wanna give is graciously accepted! Thank you so much!!

6 replies
MAMAWOF4 Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 3:54pm
post #2 of 7

Check out this picture that was just posted. Maybe it will help

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1825095.html

LisaStephens Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 3:55pm
post #3 of 7

you can purchase fondant already colored red and black, that is your best bet. Satin Ice makes it. Hope this helps. I made a ladybug cake and colored my frosting red and black, thought I was going to lose my mind. Have learned since then.

Donny13 Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 4:20pm
post #4 of 7

thanx for the responses, they have been very helpful, the cake is for this sunday, i will never get the satin ice fondant in time icon_sad.gif but i will consider it next time! Thank you!

awestervelt Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 4:47pm
post #5 of 7

I made a lady bug cake that turned out pretty good. It should be in my photos. I bought all my fondant because trying to dye red and black fondant sucks!!

sunshineh100 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 4:45pm
post #6 of 7

I have made chocolate fondant (used recipe from this site!) and then tinted it black.. It still had a *slight* brown tint to it, but it tasted really good!!!!I have made several lady bug cakes, I find they are some of the easiest I have ever done!! My daughter is a ladybug nut so she always wanted them when she was young, and now that she is older, I usually try to encorporate a small fondant ladybug into her cake somehow....

trishvanhoozer Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 5:03pm
post #7 of 7

Youtube has some great little ladybug cakes!! One is a 2 Tier cake with lots of little ladybugs and a large one - super cute!!! I always make my black and red fondants, I do it in large quanities and keep it doulbe wrapped and stored in an airtight fondant pail. I use a full container of paste color for both per receipe of MMF and I stir it in the marshmallows as they are melting. It has never been any problem on taste or overworking. It makes it super simple to use these colors. I don't use Duff's fondants - I use Satin Ice when I actually purchase it!! Hope you find a great cake and enjoy making your first ladybug!! Hope to see photos when you are done!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%