A Little Hurt.

Decorating By Babarooskie Updated 6 Oct 2010 , 6:32am by fidos_mom

Babarooskie Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 2:18pm
post #1 of 16

Hi there....

This past weekend was my sister's engagement party and she asked me to make the cake for her. Well, first she said cupcakes, then decided to make it into a cake for other reasons I rather not get into. So I agree. I was paid for half of the ingredients and the rest was basically a gift from me to her. I know, I know.

So, I started baking the cakes a few days in advance to get a head start. (I work full time 8:30-5:30). She wants a 3 tier cake, with hot pink fondant, silver bows, etc. icon_rolleyes.gif

Bottom tier is red velvet, middle tier vanilla, top tier chocolate.

Anyway, I put all my effort into this cake. Did I mention I am definitely NOT a professional when it comes to fondant?! I was having such a hard time, but I finally managed. At 4 am. 4:15 am, my head was hitting the pillow. I was exhausted. The delivery was a whole other thing.

Picture this if you would: my husband driving the car, my backseat folded down and I'm sitting in the back with the cake, yelling at my husband to slow down, cursing at the road for bumps, still yelling at my husband to slow down, having a police officer laugh when he saw me through the window witting in the backseat of my car, telling my husband he's the best for putting up with me, my legs falling asleep and then we arrive at our destination.

Deliver the cake, setting up and put finishing touches on cake and luckily, the location had bathrooms so that I can change there. Change quickly, put on my face and walk out of the bathroom to start greeting family and friends. WHEW!

Party goes on, having a great time....party ending at 12 am. It's now 11:30 and cake still hasn't been cut icon_sad.gif
Finally, my grandmother mentions something and OH! The Cake! grrrrrrrr

So my point is this- not everyone ate cake because nobody knew cake was being cut. All this effort and only a handful of people ate cake.

This is the cake I made:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1825061

15 replies
luv_to_decorate Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 2:32pm
post #2 of 16

I am sorry that not everyone got to have some of you cake. It looks great and I am sure tasted great too. Was there just so much going on that no one thought of the cake? I would have had to just bring up the cutting the cake myself by saying hey it's time to cut the great cake I brought because everyone needs to eat cake. icon_biggrin.gif Who got the leftovers?

neelycharmed Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 2:33pm
post #3 of 16

very cute cake icon_smile.gif
too bad not more people got to eat it.
I always tell everyone to cut the cake earlier then normal, so there isn't so much left (and all the hard work is for nothing)
But I bet its a little worse because you put so much into for you sis.( I know where you are coming from 3 sisters and 2 wedding cakes later, TOTALLY understand.
Jodi

all4cake Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 2:39pm
post #4 of 16

The cake turned out great! I'm not sure what goes on with an engagement party but sounds as if there may have been a whole lotta somethin' goin' on for them to forget the cake!

Was it placed out of the way or somethin'? I don't understand how people (seems like a lot of it going on lately (or maybe I'm just now noticing all of the incidents)) can forget to cut a cake when it's supposed to be part of the celebration activities. I'm just waiting for someone to share a story how a birthday cake didn't get cut because it got forgotten....

People go out of their way to make sure certain things are at a function... lack of event planning causes stuff like this to happen not lack of caring I don't think.

ETA: I say that it's lack of planning that causes these things due to my own experiences...back-to-back baby showers for my daughters...neither cake got cut. One got donated to the NICU where my granddaughter was staying and the other got divvied up amongst the 'other' family members. I told 'em, "I ain't takin' home shikaka! You'll have to deal with it."

Babarooskie Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 4:17pm
post #5 of 16

Thanks guys for the compliments!

I know, it was a bummer that not everyone got to eat cake (it would've been different if they were cupcakes), but oh well.

TrixieTreats Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 4:39pm
post #6 of 16

I also think this is frustrating, but I know for my own experience, when I have attended an event where I have made the cake...people are weird. It's like they feel guilty cutting the cake. They think they are "ruining" it. It is sort of a weird compliment....I'm sure your sister was pleased and those who had a piece really enjoyed it.

infinitsky Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 4:49pm
post #7 of 16

Your cake lookes amazing to me... Next time in such situation remind the host... If I were you, I would feel the same. When you work that hard on something, a little praise and nice words from people who eat the cake means a lot.

Cathy26 Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 6:52pm
post #8 of 16

stunning cake - sadly so many wedding cakes are just a centrepiece and dont get appreciated as people are too full up or drunk to care to have a bit - all you should be concerned about is that it looked absolutely fab! i really really really love the quirky design of it!

Coral3 Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 9:49pm
post #9 of 16

I keep reading these stories of cakes cut so late nobody ate them...a lot of them seem to be cakes gifted or made at/below cost for family and I'm wondering if it's a case of people not needing to 'get their money's worth' out of the cake. Maybe if they'd paid full price they'd make sure it got eaten?

I'm annoyed on your behalf, it does make you think "Why did I bother?" when someone obviously doesn't value your efforts like that. Anyway, heres what happened to one of my cakes, for those who may not have read it before:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-694502-wedding.html+served

Evoir Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 10:34pm
post #10 of 16

Its happened to me. Again, a case of making something special for a friend (valued at over $600 to a paying client), then driving it a couple hours to deliver to the party, then setting it up amongst the party revellers, tidying myself up and finally sitting down (where I sat exhausted, instead of simply showing up pigging out and getting smashed like everyone else). The party was stopped late in the night for speeches etc. I couldn't believe it! My hard work just sat there in clear view, untouched!

It won't happen again. Ever. I make cakes for my immediate family, only if I have time, and ONLY if its my idea. Then its free. Otherwise they book in and pay like any other client.

And that is what I say to any cakers who want advice about making stuff for friends and family. When caking is your passion and your livelihood, it really hurts to have someone (you thought you knew) give it zero value.

JulieMN Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 10:40pm
post #11 of 16

How disappointing for you! icon_sad.gif

tsal Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 2:21am
post #12 of 16

Your cake was stunning!! I understand the feeling. I worked for hours and hours on a cake for a bridal shower and they didn't even put it out on the table until over half the crowd left (they said they forgot to put it out when I asked why it wasn't on the sweet table). Then the bride said that I made the dress look 'fat' (there was a gum paste gown on top of the cake).

It was a free cake and the only cake ever that I regretted doing. I found it very hurtful.

By the way, how did you get your fondant that color?

madgeowens Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 2:29am
post #13 of 16

You did a wonderful job. Don't be hurt honey. Your sister is all wrapped up in her happiness and the cake was over looked. You should have taken pics and then said time to cut the cake.....maybe it was so gorgeous no one had the heart to cut into it? Your a darling sister............

retaunton Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 5:39am
post #14 of 16

How can a dress made out of gumpaste on a cake that is to be eaten look fat?

Give me a break!

JennieB Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 6:25am
post #15 of 16

I can say I have had this happen also. Something I have learned as far as weddings go is to encourage the bride at the cake consultation to cut the cake before they eat dinner that way it can be cut and served at dessert time like it is supose to be. As far as special occasion cakes made for friends and family I think most of the time they don't want to cut, and as they think, ruin your cake you spend so much time on. I find if you or in my case my DH cuts the cake they will eat every crumb! They just don't want to make that first cut. They always say "how can you cut it ..all that hard work" I just tell them you got to look at it now its time to enjoy it after all it is cake icon_rolleyes.gif

fidos_mom Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 6:32am
post #16 of 16

If I am at the party I am the one to announce "Where's the knife? It's cake time!!!" lol So many times people laugh and say that we can't cut something so beautiful, neat, etc. So I just remind them cake is to be eaten and enjoyed!! So enjoy!!!

But then again I am never shy! LOL icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%