Pound Cake???

Baking By trotters Updated 6 Oct 2010 , 9:29pm by brincess_b

trotters Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 12:56pm
post #1 of 11

Hi there all icon_biggrin.gif

i have done a lot for cakes in the past and now just uping my game ...

i see this pound cake? coming up alot and on tv what is it?? i stay in scotland maybe its just that i stay here

10 replies
AnnieCahill Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 12:37am
post #2 of 11

It's called pound cake because it was made with a pound each of the following ingredients: butter, eggs, flour, sugar. It's not usually made that way anymore though. Now, people add pudding mixes to their pound cakes, and even bricks of cream cheese.

Pound cake is very dense and buttery, and very rich in flavor. It can definitely stand alone without icing. Here is a really good (tried and true) recipe for a pound cake. I have served this with strawberry and blueberry sauce.

http://www.food.com/recipe/elvis-presleys-favorite-whipping-cream-pound-cake-36806

scp1127 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 12:38pm
post #3 of 11

Another feature of a true pound cake as AnnieCahill described is that there is no leavening. There is an art to making a pound cake. Look up how to's before you bake so that your cake will be a success.

tastyart Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 1:02pm
post #4 of 11

I love pound cake plain..no frosting! Not great for decorating that way, but that's how I like to eat it. My family likes it with fresh strawberries and whipped cream, yum!

trotters Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 4:40pm
post #5 of 11

ta guys going to give it a wee go ... when i see it on tv it looks easy to work with but looks very dry and hard to ?

scp1127 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 5:03pm
post #6 of 11

The consistency is different... some people may not like that. The cake is very popular in the US in the south.

brincess_b Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 5:28pm
post #7 of 11

its a pretty standard recipe in the uk, not as much as victoria or maderia sponge though. it is not dry and hard if made properly, its just a bit firmer, is tigher crumb the phrase im after? delicious and easy to work with anyway! plus on tv shows they are not always making real pound cake - they are making pound cake that is actually drier or over baked so it can be manhandled much more (particuarly shows like food network challenge).
xx

trotters Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 5:35pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by brincess_b

its a pretty standard recipe in the uk, not as much as victoria or maderia sponge though. it is not dry and hard if made properly, its just a bit firmer, is tigher crumb the phrase im after? delicious and easy to work with anyway! plus on tv shows they are not always making real pound cake - they are making pound cake that is actually drier or over baked so it can be manhandled much more (particuarly shows like food network challenge).
xx

ta for that icon_smile.gif i see your from scotland to where abouts?

brincess_b Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 5:42pm
post #9 of 11

edinburgh icon_smile.gif its worth looking at www.bsguk.org great site with local meetings too which are good fun!
xx

trotters Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 5:45pm
post #10 of 11

no way i stay in isle of skye but stayed in edinburgh 2 years and maybe moving back maybe geting a bakers done down there.... i used to stay in moat street near big asda

brincess_b Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 9:29pm
post #11 of 11

you might not have a local meeting then, lol. but the forum is good too icon_smile.gif
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%