Help With Wording For Job Applications

Business By LindaF144a Updated 13 Oct 2010 , 2:00am by kansaslaura

LindaF144a Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 12:25pm
post #1 of 8

I need help. I have applied for a cake decorating position. What the owner asked is for people to send an email if interested, which I did. But when I look over what I sent, I believe I sold myself short. Here is what I sent.

"I saw on your website that you are looking to hire cake decorators. I have been taking the Wilton courses and am in the process of taking the last class working with gum paste and fondants. I have loved what I learned in the class and was hoping to find work in this field also. I have taken photos of the cakes I have made and the practice work I have done. I would love to meet with you to see if I could be of any fit in your company. I live in (same town) also. My phone number is..... I look forward to meeting with you."

Now that I look at it a couple of days later, I think I undersold myself.

While I am a beginner cake decorator and have not made a ton of cakes covering all aspect of cake decorating yet (I have not attempted a tiered cake as of yet), I believe that I have the talent to contribute to at least 90% of what a cake decorator can do. My portfolio has all the cakes shown in my photos section, minus the ones that I attribute to my DD here. I also have added some practice photos of piping I have done on a board and not a cake just to show that I can do what is not shown on the cakes I have made.

Can anybody give advice on how I can phrase the experience I have so far without sounding like I have no clue to cake decorating. I have been researching, reading books, watching videos, baking, reading CC, watching all the TV shows. I know my strengths and weaknesses. But it seems like I am highlight my weaknesses without highlighting my strengths.

And at this time, would it be too forward of me to drop off a cover letter and photo sheet of my small photos of my portfolio? I probably have no chance at the job given my email, but I don't want to totally shut the door either. Or would that be overkill and I would irritate the shop owner enough that she would not want to ever see me again?

7 replies
Karen421 Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 12:43pm
post #2 of 8

When you were talking to us - you said it yourself! Just say that to the place you are applying.

"While I am a beginner cake decorator and have not made a ton of cakes covering all aspect of cake decorating yet, I believe that I have the talent to contribute to at least 90% of what a cake decorator can do. My portfolio has all the cakes shown in my photos section. I also have added some practice photos of piping I have done on a board and not a cake just to show that I can do what is not shown on the cakes I have made. "

Add - Thank you for taking the time to review my work, I look forward to sitting down and discussing this position with you in person.

Sincerely

kansaslaura Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 12:49pm
post #3 of 8

The first thing that would impress me (as someone who has hired others) is you've written in complete sentences, correct spelling and it actually made sense. Don't underestimate that one bit. Nothing turns me off more than to pick up an application that looks like it's a text message!! You have expressed yourself clearly, told them what your experience is and is not. Listed the classes you've taken to better yourself and sharpen your skills.

All good.

In fact, they may or may not want someone with a lot of experience. I would hire an eager to learn beginner with up and coming skills--willing to learn over someone who has done it for years would be resistant to the way I want it done.

The only thing it would tell an owner if you took in a cover letter and pictures of your work is that you're anxious to learn, very interested in the job and you're willing to go the extra mile to get it. Sometimes that is all it takes to separate who is getting considered from who isn't.

jason_kraft Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 3:19pm
post #4 of 8

I wouldn't worry too much about the text of your email...as Laura said, you can put together a coherent paragraph, which is a rare skill these days. Much more emphasis is placed on your portfolio and the interview (where you will probably be asked to decorate a cake on the spot).

Although it sounds like you didn't include a link to your online portfolio in your email, I would make sure to do this in the future.

LindaF144a Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 12:18pm
post #5 of 8

Thank you all for your help. I am going in today with a cover letter and a two- page portfolio. Depending on how the conversation goes, I was also thinking I would ask the owner if she would critique my portfolio and provide feedback on what I need to improve or highlight. That is only if she states first that i need to show more work.

In my cover letter I wrote the same statement I said here and I am going to tell her what Laura said about going the extra mile to get the job done. I keep visualizing a positive outcome. But I'm nervous at the same time too! Wish me luck!

LindaF144a Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 1:16am
post #6 of 8

I just wanted to let you all know that I got the job! I start tomorrow. I could not be happier. Thank you all for your help. I wrote the same wording I put here in my cover letter with my portfolio. I think posting here first helped me to put my feelings into words. And all of your encouragement helped me also. My portfolio showed enough skills that I needed, and I was able to coherently talk "cake" from all the hours I have poured over CC.

I still can't believe someone is going to pay me to do this kind of work. I am feeling very lucky right now.

Karen421 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 1:26am
post #7 of 8

Congratulations!!!!!! Enjoy your first day!

kansaslaura Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 2:00am
post #8 of 8

I never doubted you one moment! Congratulations!!!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%