Question About Renting A Commercial Kitchen...

Business By silverdragon997 Updated 7 Oct 2010 , 1:47am by homebasedbaking

silverdragon997 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silverdragon997 Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 12:38am
post #1 of 7

I bake custom shaped cakes for friends and family, and have had requests from others who want to pay me to make one for them. I know that it's not legal in CA to sell baked goods from home, so here's my question...

If I use a rented commercial kitchen space, such as the Chefs Kitchen, to bake the cakes and make the frostings, etc, can I then take the baked cakes home and do all of the decorating there? It would cost way more than the price of the cake if I were to carve and decorate it at the commercial kitchen. Does that seem like it's legitimate, or would that also be a no-no?

6 replies
gingerbreadtogo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerbreadtogo Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 12:48am
post #2 of 7

Sorry, In CA you must bake, decorate, finish your cakes (in my case cookies) at commericial kitchen. Then it must go from there to customer. Product can not brought home. You also must store all your ingredients at the commercial kitchen. I work out of a kitchen in the SF bay area. It is hard to make money when you have to rent all that kitchen time...but it is the law... I even had to have my car inspected to be a food delivery vehicle.

Good Luck

silverdragon997 Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 3:26am
post #3 of 7

I figured that was the case...thanks for the info!

silverdragon997 Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 3:36am
post #4 of 7

I do have another question then...how do the commercial kitchen rentals work for the part time people if they are supposed to store their ingredients there too? I don't think that's an option at places like Chefs Kitchen. But as long as you're insured and have a food handler permit, the commercial kitchen lets you rent and they say that you can then legally sell your products. Hmm...

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 3:52am
post #5 of 7

I believe they do have an area that you can rent for storage, kinda like lockers.

You might want to contact the hd and chefs kitchen to clarify.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 3:52am
post #6 of 7

Every commercial kitchen rental I've ever seen offers tenants storage space on premises, either included with the rent or for an extra monthly charge.

homebasedbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homebasedbaking Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 1:47am
post #7 of 7

Here is a copy of a commercial kitchen questionnaire. This may be helpful when talking to kitchen incubator owners about their services.

Just a couple points to remember. Always ask about any hidden fees and whether or not you will need to carry liability insurance in the event of a fire. If the facility has information in writing, get it, don't take their word of mouth at face value, not saying anyone is dishonest, but you want as much in writing as possible and if you must sign a contract, have a legal professional look it over; and try not to get locked into paying even if you do not use the facility. You really want to pay only for the time/space your actually use.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%