Fondant Help!!!

Baking By JustBakedCakes Updated 5 Oct 2010 , 2:17am by Motorhead

JustBakedCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustBakedCakes Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 10:29pm
post #1 of 15

I recently made marshmellow fondant for the first time. It seems to be too soft. I've added more powdered sugar but it hasn't helped. I've made 2 animals and they won't keep thier shape. They get shorter and fatter as time goes on. What am I doing wrong!!! The consistency is like play-doh. I've seen others on the net working with fondant and thiers seems to stretch when they pull it when mine just breaks off. Any suggestions on How to get this right??

14 replies
debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 11:00pm
post #2 of 15

I have a problem with making my own fondant also. Too soft, I can't get that right texture either. I've heard some say to add cornstarch if it's too damp , but it doesn't work for me. I'm watching this for replies. Good luck to you.

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 11:15pm
post #3 of 15

Add some gumpaste to the fondant when shaping objects. It dries harder. I use about 50/50 gp to fondant.

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 11:18pm
post #4 of 15

i just made some animals but i just used all gumpaste

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 11:27pm
post #5 of 15

I also use 100% gumpaste. I've read that some people do a 50/50 mix of fondant & gumpaste, so I tried that, but it didn't dry as hard. My pieces were still kind of soft and flexible. I like using the gumpaste because it dries as hard as a rock!

Bubbl3h3ad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbl3h3ad Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 11:28pm
post #6 of 15

I've found that if you let the fondant rest overnight or for a few hours it is easier to make things like animals out of it. I just put a little crisco on it and wrap it up in plastic wrap and then use it the next day. Have you tried that?

JustBakedCakes Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 11:43pm
post #7 of 15

@ Bubbl3h3ad~I have made it and let it sit in the frig. I doesn't change the consistency. It's just not stiff enough. How do you make yours? Maybe I'm doing something wrong which would be silly since it's so easy. I've seen ppl add shortening and some that don't. I'm getting frustrated and I'm close to going and just buying it instead icon_cry.gif
And I'm not sure about gumpaste. Is it still edible even though it gets so hard? Can you make it or do you buy it. And where?? I'm new to all this so bare with me, please. icon_wink.gif
Thanks for the help everyone icon_biggrin.gif

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 11:47pm
post #8 of 15

You can buy gumpaste at Michaels if you don't want to order it online. You can also make your own. I hate MMF so I never use it. I made baby shoes out of gumpaste and the dad to be ate them.

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 11:50pm
post #9 of 15

i no that micheals and a c moore has it for sure,

Bubbl3h3ad Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 11:52pm
post #10 of 15

Hmmm... I have never eaten gumpaste to tell you the truth. I have never eaten fondant that I did not make myself either but the kind I make is yummy! I mix a 10.5 oz bag of mini marshmallows with 3 T. of water and 1T of butter flavoring. Microwave it for 1 minute, stir and microwave it for 1 more minute and then add powdered sugar til I can't stir it anymore. I just grease the counter and pour a pile of powdered sugar on it and then grease my hands and knead the marshmallow mixture with as much powdered sugar as I need so it isn't too soft. I do know that mixing it with 50% gumpaste makes it dry a lot faster and it is easier to work with. I'm sorry, I don't think I'm being much help!

Bubbl3h3ad Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 11:54pm
post #11 of 15

Oh and you can buy gumpaste but if you are going to use it often I suggest making it. It is really easy and way cheaper.

JustBakedCakes Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 12:04am
post #12 of 15

Bubbl3h3ad~ That's pretty much how I do mine. I've left out the butter flavoring though. Maybe adding the gumpaste will help me. Not sure still what I'm doing wrong but I guess only time and practice will tell. Thanks for the help thumbs_up.gif
I'll try to find the recipe to make gumpaste now icon_lol.gif

trishvanhoozer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishvanhoozer Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 12:10am
post #13 of 15

The quality of the marshmallows is very important. Also, I will use the bigger marshmallows if I want it to be super elastic. I used to make my fondant all the time, but as I got busier, I started buying premade - I use Satin Ice both fondant and gumpaste. Also, you can buy tylose powder to strengthen your fondant.

Bubbl3h3ad Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 1:22am
post #14 of 15

If you buy some glucose it has the gumpaste recipe right on the side of it.

Motorhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motorhead Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 2:17am
post #15 of 15

when i first started making figures all i used was mmf, and they always were soft and soggy like-even with supports, then i purchased some tylose and that was an improvement! it really helps with making the mmf more sturdy and faster drying times. Now i often use gumpaste for my figures, it does not taste great, really not much taste of anything! i use gumpaste especially if the figures have to be self supporting because they dry so hard, but rely on gumpaste/fondant mixture if i know they are going to be eaten. good luck! hth thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%