Need Help On A Cake Order-Need Your Thoughts & Suggestio

Business By jessray Updated 7 Oct 2010 , 4:36pm by costumeczar

jessray Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 10:01pm
post #1 of 12

I need your opinion on this order,
I have a bride that came to me for a quote for her 300 guest wedding, she wanted a 3 tier cake and some slabs to serve the rest of the guests. Now she is ordering the cake but doesn't want the slabs, she wants to get slab from the supermarket. This is the first time this happens to me as all the other brides always got enough cake from me for all their guests. Now I am hesitating on taking this order as there will be two different cakes and guest might think they are all coming from me and if the slabs tastes awefull, they will assiciate those to me. What I am asking is your advice, would you let her do that or do it all or nothing at all. Thank you so much for your help!

11 replies
jason_kraft Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 10:09pm
post #2 of 12

Normally I'm not a fan of single-source clauses, but in this case the kitchen cakes ("slabs") will probably be attributed to you, since your cake will be the only one displayed. I would require that she purchase the kitchen cakes from you.

If there is a budget issue, you can usually work with the bride to reduce the complexity of the design to fit her budget.

indydebi Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 10:09pm
post #3 of 12

the wording in my contract that prohibited it was "reputation protection and liability issue prohibits any outside food to be brought in from another source."

how small did she want to make the 'real' cake? If it went from 300 to 100, then I'd have NO problem walking away from it .... making SURE she understood it was a liability issue and not a money issue! ('Coz you KNOW no matter what, she'll tell everyone you said 'no' because you couldn't get ALL of her money! big sigh!).

And since I'd be walking away, I'd have my own fun by looking puzzled, tilting my head to one side and asking her.....

"So-o-o-o-o-o what are you going to tell teh caterers so they will know who gets the good cake and who gets the crappy grocery store cake? Are you going to have their hands stamped or different colored napkins or something? Or will they know to serve the crappy cake to the people in the cheap seats in the back of the room? I've always wondered how that works out. 'Coz see ... in MY family, people WILL notice who got layered weddign cake with luscious filling ... and who got the chintzy little square of grocery store cake. yeah ... they DEFINITELY notice?" icon_rolleyes.gificon_twisted.gif

jason_kraft Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 10:12pm
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

the wording in my contract that prohibited it was "reputation protection and liability issue prohibits any outside food to be brought in from another source."

Are the culinary caterers at your events aware of this clause? icon_wink.gif

indydebi Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 10:20pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkraft

Are the culinary caterers at your events aware of this clause? icon_wink.gif

I was a caterer, so this applied mainly to my catering clients. I was pretty generous in adding exceptions to the contract when it was discussed with me ahead of time and agreed to ahead of time. A for-example was a groom's cake design that I couldn't/wouldn't do. I'd add a note to the contract to the effect of: "Both parties agree the groom's cake will be provided by blah blah."

Any section of my contract that didn't apply to that particular client, I would mark as "N/A" (not applicable" in the initials-box to the left of that paragraph.

As I told my brides, a contract is to make us BOTH feel comfortable, so I was happy to alter wording or make changes when applicable.

the full wording that pertained to cakes:

8.     Sole provider: Customer agrees that if the wedding cake is purchased from Cater It Simple, then CIS will be the sole provider of all cake servings at this function, and failure to comply with this policy will result in forfeiture of both the cake(s) and the full purchase price of the cake(s) as paid by the customer, excluding deposits on rented or loaned material. Cake is defined as, but not limited to, any sheet cake, Groom's cake, or faux/fake cake furnished, purchased, rented, or gifted by any third party. Dessert buffets and displays of individual pastries are excluded.

9.     No other perishable foods can be brought in from another source, professional or private, when Cater It Simple is providing the buffet. This is to insure reputation and liability issues.

daltonam Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 10:28pm
post #6 of 12

Debi, that was well written. If I ever decide to write up a contract icon_surprised.gif I know who to call icon_wink.gif.

To the OP ..... you need to try to make the bride understand that your rep is on the line.

jessray Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 10:30pm
post #7 of 12

Thank you so much for your help.

granniehelen Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 2:57am
post #8 of 12

We went to a church dinner on Sunday. It was the pastor's birthday. Predictably, there was a grocery store sheet cake. Chocolate with white icing. It was almost inedible. My very spoiled 11-yo son took one bite and spit it out. I would not want anyone thinking I'd made that petroleum product!

1234me Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 1:47am
post #9 of 12

I wouldn't do it. I recently did the bride's cake at a wedding and the grandmother did the groom's cake and I will never allow that to happen again. I was so worried that people thought it was my work and the taste of my cakes. No matter what the price is being paid for your cake, I would not do it!

costumeczar Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 8:12pm
post #10 of 12

I would tell her that I won't do the cake if there will be sheet cakes there. For all the same reason everyone else said, but mainly beause of the quality issue.

This is exactly what I'd say: "I don't want people to think that I made the nasty cake that you get from grocery stores. There's no butter in that stuff, and you'll be wasting money anyway because you're going to be paying for sheet cakes that nobody will eat once they take one bite out of it. Why not just get a good dessert cake that people will actually eat and enjoy instead of something that they'll talk about in a bad way for long after the reception is over?"

JanH Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 9:56am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

in MY family, people WILL notice who got layered weddign cake with luscious filling ... and who got the chintzy little square of grocery store cake. yeah ... they DEFINITELY notice?" icon_rolleyes.gificon_twisted.gif

Heck yeah! icon_eek.gif

How could you NOT notice that the bride & groom are eating tall slices of decorated & filled layer cake and you're being served a sheet (single layer) frosting only cake slice... thumbsdown.gif

costumeczar Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 4:36pm
post #12 of 12

I don't know how people can be so self-delusional to think that nobody would notice that there are two different kinds of cake there. Even when I've been to parties where there are more than one type of dessert people start telling each other which one is the good one and which one to not eat!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%