Key Lime Buttercream?

Baking By MJTKNT Updated 11 Oct 2010 , 12:54am by MJTKNT

MJTKNT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJTKNT Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 4:51pm
post #1 of 18

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a key lime buttercream recipe?

17 replies
CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 6:16pm
post #3 of 18

I used this one for a wedding this past summer and got rave reviews on the taste:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7389/key-lime

malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 18

I buy key lime flavor from a specialty kitchen store and use the regular Wilton frosting recipe. I have some in my fridge right now and it's amazing!!

MJTKNT Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 4:55am
post #5 of 18

Jones, I'm making that cake...just need a buttercream. I'll add, it's for cupcakes, so I'm trying to find something that doesn't crust and get hard, but still holds it's form to pipe.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 4:59am
post #6 of 18

http://mingmakescupcakes.yolasite.com/

Can't decide if Cupcake #32 key lime cream cheese frosting is what you need, or if it's too soft.

mrsfoxxy2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsfoxxy2u Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 3:15pm
post #7 of 18

Hi, I am new to CC but I can tell you I made a keylime cake with keylime butter cream frosting that was a HUGE hit for a birthday. I made a typical butter cream frosting, (I tend to go 1/2 crisco-1/2 butter) in place of vanilla bean, and butter extract, I added keylime juice. I remember adding a little extra powdered sugar to keep my consistency the way I wanted, I did use freshly squeezed key limejuice (my sister in law lives in FL and has a keylime tree, I have her send me those regularly!) but on occasion I run out and almost all the grocery stores I have been too carry bottled keylime juice. For EXTRA POP I like to zest a LIME or 2 into the frosting, it looks really cool and gives it a little more flavor! I suggest lime over keylime zest because keylimes (if you can get your hands on them) are a much lighter green, more of a yellow type of green, and don't stand out as well, and the zest is a bit more bitter than a lime! Hope that helps! Have fun and happy caking!!! icon_smile.gificon_wink.gif

MJTKNT Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 4:19pm
post #8 of 18

Thank you for that suggestion. I think that's the route I'm going to go. Did your buttercream crust with 1/2 crisco 1/2 butter?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 4:32pm
post #9 of 18

That does sound good! Thanks for sharing!!

mrsfoxxy2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsfoxxy2u Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 5:06pm
post #10 of 18

No it did not crust, I did cover it with fondant, if you are looking for a crust to your butter cream add a little meringue. Very yummy stuff, sweet with that citrusy bite! Good luck, hope you love it as much as me! thumbs_up.gif

ILoveDaffodils Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ILoveDaffodils Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 5:26pm
post #11 of 18

I use a regular buttercream and add lime juice. I have trouble getting enough lime flavor without the frosting getting too runny so I use True Lime dissolved in the lime juice.

MJTKNT Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 5:41pm
post #12 of 18

Perfect! I'm not looking for it to crust. It's going on cupcakes. Thanks for your help. I'll give it a shot.

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 5:42pm
post #13 of 18

I put this on my mojito cake:

http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Key-Lime-Cream-Cheese-Icing

People always ask for the recipe!!

KATHIESKREATIONS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 5:44pm
post #14 of 18

Thanks, mrsfoxxy2u. I have used the Key Lime Juice we can get in the grocery store, but I really liked your idea of adding the grated lime to it. Thanks for posting!

MJTKNT Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 11:08pm
post #15 of 18

mrsfoxxy2u, I made the buttercream with your recipe- used key lime zest b/c it's what I had, and it was DELICIOUS! Thank you!

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 11:22pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

http://mingmakescupcakes.yolasite.com/

Can't decide if Cupcake #32 key lime cream cheese frosting is what you need, or if it's too soft.

Oh my God....thanks for that website!! Has tons of yummy looking CCs with recipes....

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 11:47pm
post #17 of 18

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7294/key-lime-cake-with-key-lime-buttercream

Here's my recipe I posted a while back. It's had really good reviews. thumbs_up.gif

MJTKNT Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 12:54am
post #18 of 18

Thanks cocobean-- that's basically what I made, but I always like to see a recipe written out. I tried your cake too in my search for the perfect key lime. YUM. It was delicious, but more lemony tasting than key lime to me. It's my mom's favorite flavor I've had her try yet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%