Flakey People

Decorating By amygortoncakes Updated 4 Oct 2010 , 5:06pm by amygortoncakes

amygortoncakes Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 3

I just need to vent because I am so sick of flakey people that take advantage of anyone that has a nice bone in their body...LOL

So I made this really cute Mickey Mouse cake for this ladies son who was turning 1.

Fist I quoted her $75 for the cake and she tried emailing me a sob story about she is on a budget and can't afford the cake. Mind you she is emailing me from her I Pad...LOL I stuck to my price, and she gave in...but I should have known from the beginning she was going to be a pain to work with.

She lived far from my house and told her that I needed to meet somewhere central for both of us because I stay at home full time with my boys and go to school 2 nights a week. Of course this couldn't happen, so I end up getting a babysiter and driving to her house to finalize details, sign the contract and recieve the deposit. I was a little put off to say the least. Again I should have known.

Then the night before the cake is dues at like 10pm she calls, thank goodness I was actually up still decorating. She wants me to drop the cake off at her brothers house around the corner from my house. I agree because I am nice and stupid, even though she agreed to pick the cake up.

So the next morning I go to deliver the cake, and go up to the house and ring the door bell...no answer. Ring again and again and again....no answer. I am fuming by this point. So I drive and get some coffee to cool down, go back, ring the doorbell again and again and again. No answer.

I return home and call her, and tell her that her brother wasn't home, or wasn't expecting me....and then inform her that even though I was going to deliver for no fee because it was just around the corner I expected her to compensate me for my wasted time. And that she now needed to come and get the cake. And my delivery fee is only $25. You would have thought I tolder her needed to pay me $100 for delivery. She is like flipping out, like I am screwing her over and how incoveniencd she is by all of this.

In the end I droppped the charge for delivery since she didn't sign in the contract for delivery. Her brother came and got the cake, and acted like he was doing me a big favor.

I have only been doing this for a few months, so I know this must happen all the time. But it is so frustrating. I ended up emailing her and just taking fault because I don't want a bad reputation if she ends up being vindictive.

It is just unbelievable how flakey people are. I guess the moral of the story is I shouldn't have taken the order when I got the feeling that she was a little wacky.

Anyone experience crazy people?

Thank god the cake was great, or I would have been screwed. LOL

2 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 4:55pm
post #2 of 3

Yup...People are Flaky to say the least..Next time stick to your guns about delivery..Say no period!! If they can't find someone to get the cake in a suitable time frame at your place of business ...then Too bad!!I am a home based business and I do not deliver anything..If they want a cake they pick it up.Oh I have had people try and beg me..Offer to pay me but I just don't have the time to run all over a big city of 1 million people trying to find addresees let alone be back in my area to get 2 kids from to different schools at 2 different times.It stresses me out.Works for me..I have never not had anyone show up to get a cake..late yes...but not show up at all..not yet..Knock on wood!!LOL.

amygortoncakes Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 5:06pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks for your reply. This was my first really great cake and I was so excited and just had all the air burst from my little bubble because even though I worte her an email and kissed her butt, she hasn't responded so I don't even get that genuine "I love the cake" reaction.

I now know I need to be decisvie and stick to the contracted plan no matter what.

And I know that its just part of this industry, working with people one on one. The worst part is having to be nice, but I would have loved to have thrown the cake on the front lawn...LOL.

Quote by @%username% on %date%