It's Been A Whopper Of A First Year In Business!

Business By CakeInfatuation Updated 5 Oct 2010 , 2:17am by CakeInfatuation

CakeInfatuation Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 3:22pm
post #1 of 15

As of October 28th, 2010 I'll have had my License for 1 whole year. I launched My cake shop on November 1st of 2009.

I'm soooo excited to announce that in this first year, the calendar has been steadily booked and sometimes overbooked! There's been loads of repeat business and referrals. 4 interviews by local bloggers. And a cake was submitted to CC magazine (we'll see if they publish it).

AND THE BEST!!!! My cake shop was voted #1 Best Cakes in Philadelphia! It's somewhat unbelievable and exciting all at the same time...

Now... if you could see my dining room. lol... It's overwhelmed too! My husband and I actually sat at the kitchen table last night trying to figure out what to do because I've literally grown out of my dining room and we can't have company because we have no place to feed them. Cakes have completely taken over. It wouldn't be so bad if not for the fact that I have NO storage so there are totes and boxes stacked all over the place! All 4 walls are LINED with stuff. hummmmm what to do. lol

14 replies
mbasic Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 15

Congratulations! thumbs_up.gif

IsaSW Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 3:38pm
post #3 of 15

Congratulations!
How are the numbers? red, black or green?

CakeInfatuation Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 4:09pm
post #4 of 15

Green! But it's easier when you have a licensed home kitchen.

adonisthegreek1 Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 4:25pm
post #5 of 15

Congratulations! It's always great to hear success stories. I wish you continued success.

Motta Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 5:17pm
post #6 of 15

That's so great! What a success you are in a short time. Congrats!!!!!

KristiBrooke Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 5:32pm
post #7 of 15

Congrats...that is wonderful news! I am debating taking my friends and family baking a step further. What scares me....the financial and Tax side of things!

Do you have any tidbits to calm my fears or lead me in the right direction???

what_a_cake Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 5:35pm
post #8 of 15

Congratulations and happy anniversary!!!!! Your cakes are great, your business doing profit... maybe you and hubby need to start thinking on moving out LOL

JulieMN Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 10:39pm
post #9 of 15

Congratulations!

CakeInfatuation Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 10:40pm
post #10 of 15

I wouldn't let the business and tax side of things scare you. Just get a good accountant and decide right off that it's worth it to let someone else take care of that stuff!

debster Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 10:57pm
post #11 of 15

Congrats !!!!!!!! What state are you in?

CakeInfatuation Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 11:56pm
post #12 of 15

Thanks so much everyone. I think the biggest drawback is I'm busier now than I was when I worked full time outside of the home. lol And my house is a wreck most of the time.

I'm in PA. icon_smile.gif

Motta Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 12:41am
post #13 of 15

You sound like you're happy nonetheless. I'd love to know how you juggle everything! how old are your kids? Do you have time during the day to work on your cakes or do you have to work nights?

awatterson Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 1:11am
post #14 of 15

Congratulations!

CakeInfatuation Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 2:17am
post #15 of 15

I have 5 & 7 year old boys. How do I juggle everything? Sometimes very poorly. I don't clean the house like I used to. Laundry piles up. We get dressed out of overflowing laundry baskets (at least the clothes are clean & folded...), I don't get creative with meals like I used to, I don't shop for fun anymore... lol

It's just different. You have to pick and choose what to deal with and what to let go. What really matters the most to you? My husband has to pitch in A LOT more than he used to.

BUT I am home with my boys. I don't have to call out if someone is sick. If I want time off, I just block the days off on my calendar so I don't take orders, the bills are paid, and I'm doing what I enjoy. There are certainly trade offs... But it's working. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%