Colouring Embossed Lettering......

Decorating By shady_twist Updated 4 Oct 2010 , 12:07pm by allaboutcakeuk

shady_twist Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 10:18am
post #1 of 6

Hi all,

I love the style of the lettering on this cake http://www.flickr.com/photos/sugarbloom_cupcakes/3353654502/

I have had a go at doing the same thing, I can do the letters no problem, but can not do the colouring bit! I've tried using an edible ink pen - the icing just tore up, powder - the powder spilt on the surrounding icing and looked awful and powder mixed with lemon juice to make a paint, this just looked really blotchy and awful!!!

Can anyone offer any advice on getting it to a professional looking standard!!!

Thanks
Jo

5 replies
lollyponpon Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 11:03am
post #2 of 6

do you have a flikr account?? maybe post a comment on the OP's pic asking them if they mind letting you know? You could also try using regular rubber stamps with food colour gel on it and then apply the embossing/colouring at the same time!! Thats just another idea...

allaboutcakeuk Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 11:16am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shady_twist

Hi all,

I love the style of the lettering on this cake http://www.flickr.com/photos/sugarbloom_cupcakes/3353654502/

I have had a go at doing the same thing, I can do the letters no problem, but can not do the colouring bit! I've tried using an edible ink pen - the icing just tore up, powder - the powder spilt on the surrounding icing and looked awful and powder mixed with lemon juice to make a paint, this just looked really blotchy and awful!!!

Can anyone offer any advice on getting it to a professional looking standard!!!

Thanks
Jo

Hi there - are you using an embosser to imprint the lettering? If so you can paint the embosser with the colour (I've used piping jelly coloured first the colour you want) paint onto the embosser first then press into the icing.

Another option when you've imprinted the lettering is to use a really small tip and pipe within the printed lettering with coloured RI. If you use the smallest tip it should stay inside the letters.

It may also be easier to paint once the icing has hardened off a bit. Do the lettering first while still soft then let the icing dry before applying colour. Dust colours mixed with some alcohol i find better than lemon juice. HTH

shady_twist Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 11:35am
post #4 of 6

mmmm, i have emailed her through flickr a few days ago about something else, but she hasnt responded... I will give the putting some colour on the stamp technique a go.... Thanks for your help icon_smile.gif

shady_twist Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 11:37am
post #5 of 6

thanks for your suggestions allaboutcakeuk, didnt see your answer before I posted my last reply!!! I think I will have a play session, probably end up with more colour on me than in the lettering!!!!

icon_smile.gif

allaboutcakeuk Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 12:07pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shady_twist

thanks for your suggestions allaboutcakeuk, didnt see your answer before I posted my last reply!!! I think I will have a play session, probably end up with more colour on me than in the lettering!!!!

icon_smile.gif

LOL yeah it can be a messy business and good to have a play esp if going on white icing! good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%