First And Don't Know How To Handle

Decorating By walterak Updated 4 Oct 2010 , 4:18am by DSmo

walterak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
walterak Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 3:11am
post #1 of 9

I am new at all this...do it as a hobby but to also make a little extra money. I have someone wanting a wedding cake in June, she wants to order with me as I already gave her prices for what she wants. I have never taken an order this far out and don't really know how to handle it. Any advice? She wants to know when she should pay me. Do I tell her we should wait till closer to the date? Do I take some of her money now and just put it aside? I just don't know. I am a little worried about it being so far away. I mean, its over 6 months away. Its for June 18th.

8 replies
sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 3:37am
post #2 of 9

Once you have the total price that she's going to pay have her sign your contract (a must) get a deposit ( most times this is not refundable) then she can pay on the cake till one month before the wedding.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 3:39am
post #3 of 9

what part of it being "so far out" worries you? It's normal to order wedding cakes sometimes a year or more in advance. If you know what part of it bothers you, perhaps we can help address that fear with you. thumbs_up.gif

walterak Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 3:46am
post #4 of 9

Just the fact that it is so far away. I know for bakeries and pros they take orders so far out, but I am just a hobbyist. I am afraid I will not want to do this as a hobby anymore, or for some reason I will forget. The not wanting to do it is starting to not bother me as much...because even if 4 months from now, I decide to stop...I can still do 1 cake in June...

I guess just fear of the unknown. This is a first for me. I don't have a contract...does anyone have an example? The idea of deposit and monthly payment sounds awesome...and if I were the bride this would sound good to me too...not all at once.

The cake isn't too difficult...white with small amount of scroll work painted on...so that doesnt concern me at all. It is 4 tiers though...never done anything over 2 directly stacked.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 3:50am
post #5 of 9

A ten tier cake is just like a 2-tier cake ..... except you stack a few more cakes on top. The process and the skill is the same. so don't let that worry you too much. thumbs_up.gif

If you're going to venture into wedding cakes, you need to decide now how you feel about taking orders like this, because most brides don't order their wedding cake just 2 or 3 weeks before their wedding (in spite of the horror stories we hear from time to time! icon_lol.gif ). Contracts are a must. A contract merely details out what the bride is responsible for and what you are responsible for. Most bakers take a deposit (10% to 50%) with the balance due 2 to 4 weeks prior to the wedding date.

walterak Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 3:56am
post #6 of 9

Thank you so much Indy...I am going to sleep on this one and get back to her tomorrow. I have to come up with a contract. I have wanted to do a 4 tier because they are SOOOO beautiful.

DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 4:14am
post #7 of 9

I don't remember where I got this, but here's a sample contract that might help you.

DSmo Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 4:15am
post #8 of 9

Darn. The attachment didn't work. I'll see if I can find a link.

DSmo Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 4:18am
post #9 of 9

Here it is. It's from the Cake Boss website.
http://www.cakeboss.com/contract.aspx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%