How Do I Cover A Cake Board In Fondant?

Decorating By snazzygem Updated 4 Oct 2010 , 1:44am by LogansMommie

snazzygem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snazzygem Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 11:59pm
post #1 of 6

I have tried twice now and I am not sure how to trim the edges? Both times they have come out quite sloppy. And the last try, the fondant slid right off when I tilted it. How do you make it adhere to the foam board?

Thanks so much!
Kate icon_smile.gif

5 replies
Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 12:11am
post #2 of 6

The best advice I have for clean edges is to use a pizza cutter! You'll get clean, sharp edges every time! Also, are you using anything to adhere the fondant to the board itself? I've used some piping gel and also tried a thin layer of crisco and they both worked well.

I really should cover my boards more often!!!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 12:11am
post #3 of 6

Hi, you are going to stack at least 4 cake boards together, or use the cake drums , or cut you some from foam core boards. I like mine to be at least 1/2"-5/8" thick. Spread you some piping gel (litely) on your board. Roll your fondant about 1/4" thick on top of a litely greased mat. Take your board, turn it upside down on the fondant. press gently. Then cut around the board with your pizza cutter. Flip the mat over and gently pat the mat againt the fondant, then gently pull the mat off. Then gently smooth with the fonant smoother or your hands. Keep your fingers from touching it . Look closely at the edges, to be sure no board is showing, If it is, the gently push the fondant more toward the edges. I watch mine for a little while as it dries. The fondant to creep back away from the edges. When i am satisfied, i then leave to dry over nite. hth There are other ways, this i my way and an easy way. I don,t like the sides covered with fondant, I like to use pretty ribbon around the sides of the board. Most decorators do. The pretty ribbon comes at least 5/8" wide.

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 12:13am
post #4 of 6

the one i covered was one of those large plastic ones with the scolloped edges and i did`t use anything just put the fondand right on it and had no prob with it. if ur using the cardboard ones maybe a little piping gell or sugar glue that should hold it, then just cut the edge with a sharp knife

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 1:16am
post #5 of 6

Smear some piping gel all over the board and as close to the edge as possible (never had a problem with the fondant shrinking down). Scrape off any excess so it won't show through the fondant. Roll out the fondant (I usually roll it out to 1/4" thick) then lay it over the board. Use a fondant smoother to smooth it out. Lift the board up holding it on your palm, take a very sharp knife and hold it up against the board with the blade facing away from you and resting flushed up against the board and trim away the excess all around. I get a nice, straight edge this way than with using a pizza cutter. Let the board sit overnight to dry then attach a ribbon along the edge.

LogansMommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LogansMommie Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 1:44am
post #6 of 6

I actually used some buttercream that I spread over my cardboard cake board. I try to double up (or triple up) my boards. After rolling out my fondant and placing it over my board, I just used a fondant smoother and smoothed it to the edge and (like the others) just use either a pizza cutter or sharp knife and trim it carefully. I think use my fondant smoother (or fingers) and carefully as you don't want to thin it out, just carefully smooth it over the side just a bit. Then let it sit overnight and I hot glue ribbon around it to finish it off. Just gives it that beautiful finishing touch!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%