No Permission For Logo (Legos) - Any Ideas How To Do It?

Decorating By Tinabarena Updated 3 Oct 2010 , 10:53pm by Tinabarena

Tinabarena Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 8:32pm
post #1 of 9

Ok, I have a birthday cake order for a Lego's cake for a little boy. I emailed the company requesting permission to use its logo for a one time use. While they were very nice (and looked at my facebook page and complimented me!), they stated that I couldn't use it.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to use the Lego theme without committing trademark/copyright infringment?

8 replies
psurrette Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 9

yup! Dont use it!

Tinabarena Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 8:58pm
post #3 of 9

Can I buy legos to put on the cake?

cakeythings1961 Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 9

Why do you need to use the logo? Just make a cake with Lego looking blocks. There's another thread going right now in this same forum.

One of the tutorials was this:
http://www.minjina-kuhinjica.com/desert/torta/rodjendanske-torte/lego-torta-tutorijal-2/
Not in English, but it's self-explanatory.

tarheelgirl Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 9:04pm
post #5 of 9

I've made several 3D lego cakes. I cut various sized blocks and stacked so they looked connected. The birthday boy decided to put his own Lego figures on the cake once I dropped it off. I never used the logo and it was clear they were building blocks.

Tinabarena Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 9:09pm
post #6 of 9

I guess I don't have to use the logo, but I thought that even making the blocks it would still be infringment (because people would know what they are)? I thought I read somewhere on here that even if you copy the 'likeness' of an image/figure/etc. that it is still infringment.

cakeythings1961 Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 10:35pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabarena

I guess I don't have to use the logo, but I thought that even making the blocks it would still be infringment (because people would know what they are)? I thought I read somewhere on here that even if you copy the 'likeness' of an image/figure/etc. that it is still infringment.

Maybe that's true of something like Mickey Mouse--that's a one-of-a-kind character...but there are actually lots of building blocks that are shaped just like Legos. Similar situations would be: making a basketball cake is ok, but making a Wilson basketball cake would not....making a hot dog cake would be ok, making an Oscar Mayer hot dog cake would not. Keep in mind, though, that you cannot even call it a "Lego" cake...not to customers, not on facebook, etc. It's a "Colorful Interlocking Children's Blocks" cake. icon_lol.gif

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer. If you're in doubt about any of this, check with one.

cakesbycathy Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 10:42pm
post #8 of 9

I think you would be okay. BTW, Legos and Kinex look an aweful lot alike.

Tinabarena Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 10:53pm
post #9 of 9

cakeythings1961, that's a good point when you think about it that way. Cool, I'll just do a cake that has 'building blocks' on it! Thanks for all your input and clarifying it for me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%