24 Hr Morning Sickness + Busy Business= Miserable :(

Business By momma28 Updated 6 Nov 2010 , 3:50am by tavyheather

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 35

I am 7 weeks pregnant and unbearably nauseas all day every day (morning sickness my patoot) and sooo tired. October is slam full for me. Im getting my cakes done and they look great im just struggling and I guess just whining. I havent told anyone because I dont want my brides or the venues to worry about me fulfilling my obligations. COME ON NOVEMBER!!!

34 replies
sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 9:04pm
post #2 of 35

*Hugs* and congrats on the soon to be little one.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 5:06am
post #3 of 35

Awww! Let's give her out best morning sickness tips.

From my grandmother: suck on a lemon wedge. Yeah, it's weird, but it worked for me. I carried wedges around in a thermos filled with ice.

Change of temperature: way back in the day, when I worked fast food, I would walk into the walk in freezer for a moment.

Rolaids: this helped me but I did end up with a kidney stone (probably too much calcium because I ate a ton of them). Use that tip sparingly.

Anyone else? That whole crackers and water before getting out of bed thing did nothing for me.

neneromanovagirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neneromanovagirl Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 8:02am
post #4 of 35

I don't know if you get them in America as I'm in the UK but over here it's very well know that ginger biscuits help sooooo much with morning sickness.

Congrats on your pregnancy icon_smile.gif

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 10:07am
post #5 of 35

Dry crackers were good for me. The best thing was getting to 12 weeks and it completely disappeared in about 2 days. Yay! I'm still tired, though, but not that eyes slamming shut while you're standing up tired like in the first trimester.

Complain away, though. icon_smile.gif

pinkjacs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkjacs Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 10:52am
post #6 of 35

Oh you poor thing, my morning (ALL DAY) sickness lasted 9 months both times so I really feel your pain. I was not into cake decorating at that point not sure I could have looked at them!

eat little often dry food and cereal.

keep your chin up and try not t let it over take you.

Good luck with your cakes x

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 10:54am
post #7 of 35

My "first-aid" was saltine crackers and Sprite. But I'll bet the ginger cookie suggestion would work really well, too.

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 11:09am
post #8 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma28

I am 7 weeks pregnant and unbearably nauseas all day every day (morning sickness my patoot) and sooo tired. October is slam full for me. Im getting my cakes done and they look great im just struggling and I guess just whining. I havent told anyone because I dont want my brides or the venues to worry about me fulfilling my obligations. COME ON NOVEMBER!!!

ah congratulations but i imagine it is soooo exhausting. i was unwell other week and that felt bad enough with a biz week. My friend has just fallen pregnant and all my other friends recommend ginger - either in biscuits or ginger beer and i recommended this to my friend and she said it is really helping her a lot - so maybe give the ginger based stuff a go? HTH and best wishes icon_biggrin.gif

ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 11:51am
post #9 of 35

If you are taking pre-natal vitamins make sure you eat something (even just a little something) BEFORE you take them. Pre-natals made me horribly ill....Stay away from anything that smells too strong and you can try acupuncture bracelets sold at any drugstore. They are supposed to be for motion sickness, but they put pressure on a nerve that can sometimes help reduce nausea. And CONGRATULATIONS!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 12:10pm
post #10 of 35

Drink flat coke.

Do u have anyone that can help with the cakes, or even just dishes?
xx

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 12:22pm
post #11 of 35

ginger beer worked wonders for mine icon_smile.gif
hope it passes soon and that you have a happy healthy journey

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 12:54pm
post #12 of 35

I had to take Rx drugs with both of my pregnancies, which makes you even more drowsy. I did find with my second that smelling mouthwash helped me. Weird, I know, I promise I wasn't sipping on it. You know how some smells set you off, well some smells help to stop it. Good luck. If you are loosing weight you may want to consider medication.

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 1:13pm
post #13 of 35

Congrats, first of all!!
Real giner ale worked for me... the stuff that actually has ginger in it. It's hard to "work through it" but it sounds like you've been a real trooper.

kristanashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristanashley Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 2:45pm
post #14 of 35

Lemon Italian ice. Lemon + cold = relief. icon_smile.gif Congratulations! Hopefully it won't last much longer. My 2nd trimester was fabulous! I'm hoping the same for you!

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 3:08pm
post #15 of 35

I tried EVERYTHING for "morning" sickness during my 3rd pregnancy.

The motion bands helped a little. Gingersnaps and ginger ale helped a little. Bland food--oatmeal helped a little.

Doc finally medicated me. I can't remember the name of the med but it is the same one they prescribe for babies w/reflux so it is safe during pregnancy. I don't remember it making me any more tired than the typical 1st-trimester exhaustion.

CONGRATS and good luck. It will get better and you will get to enjoy the 2nd trimester glow.

Kristy

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 11:04pm
post #16 of 35

Congratulations! Hope that you are feeling better very, very soon!

Cindsters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindsters Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 11:51pm
post #17 of 35

Lifesavers were a big help for me! Remember, it's just temporary and you will get through it.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 12:59am
post #18 of 35

Congratulations! I can't give you any ideas that worked for me. But i have a few friends that had horrible morning sickness and they tried quite a few of the things already mentioned and they helped.

The only other thing i can possibly offer is if you are taking a pre-natel vitamen try taking it a different time of day. I have a couple people in my family that were taking them in the morning and then would be sick all day. They finally started taking them in the evening with dinner and their bodies handled it better. Just another idea.

obsessed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
obsessed Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 1:15am
post #19 of 35

I recommend taking your multivitamin at bedtime...made a world of difference for me. Also a few crackers eaten frequently helped.

Congratulations!

tonyas_jewels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonyas_jewels Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 1:55am
post #20 of 35

the motion sickness bracelets helped me, also ginger ale and it sounds crazy but my doc told me to eat jelly beans and that helped the most..I hope you feel better soon

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 5:06pm
post #21 of 35

I'm in the same situation and am 8 weeks. In fact, even thinking about cake makes me queasy. I have some relatives that have requested a repeat performance of my fabulous honey cupcakes (oh god, just the thought makes me gag.) and there is no way I can do it.

I have to do a tasting on Oct. 16, and will be doing some heavy baking between now and then. Guess I'll just have to suck on a lollipop and sip ginger ale while I'm baking.

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 9:32pm
post #22 of 35

OMGoodness!! I love cakecentral icon_smile.gif Everyone is so wonderful. I have been away from the puter (because looking at the screen makes me even sicker icon_redface.gif ) I had no idea there were this many responses/suggestions. I have started taking ginger tablets and that gives me SOME relief. Im just really nauseas instead of that right before you thro up feeling with the rapid heart beat and sweats icon_sad.gif

My doc just told me to try dramamine and my hubby picked it up this morning. This seems to be working better. I am still DOG tired but I am doing my best. My 15 year old daughter is my "apprentice" and has been doing all my prep and clean up so all I have to do is bake, sculpt and decorate. Come on NOVEMBER!!

Kger: congratulations! and I feel your pain. I hope you get some relief sweetie {{{{Hugs}}}}

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 12:30am
post #23 of 35

Congrats! I just found out I've got a second one on the way so I'm right there with ya! (5 weeks). I didn't get sick until 7 weeks with my first so I'm in dreadsville right now!

Ginger helped with me (dried/gingerale/cookies) but my friend swears by vitamin B6. Her OB (who is also mine) approved it and she got no morning sickness. She went off it for a week and got nauseous almost immediately. She started taking it again and within 2 days the nausea was gone. That's what I'll be trying if I get it. Good luck!

Redsoxbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redsoxbaker Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 12:54am
post #24 of 35

Congratulations to all you Moms-to-be. I'm so happy for you all. It was so long ago for me but I remember how exhausted I was when I was pregnant. Is it possible for any of you to get a 30 minute nap in during the day? Sometimes even a quick nap can really give you a quick pick-me-up! I hope you all feel well soon. It will be so worth it when you have that bundle of joy home with you. icon_smile.gif

letem_eat_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letem_eat_cakes Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 12:00pm
post #25 of 35

I am not sure where you live but if you can get it, I lived off of blue raspberry icees for the first three month. even now, when i have a bad day i will go get one and my nausea is gone. still don't know how or why it works but it does. just a suggestion.

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 12:44pm
post #26 of 35

Congrats and good for you for being able to work with food and get through this!

Do you take the dramamine at night? A well known combo for nausea is B6 and HALF of a Unisom. Take both, but only a half of the unisom so you aren't actually drowsy from it, just receiving the anti-nausea benefits.

I tried the B6 only and it didn't help. Neither did the Sea Bands which are those pressure point bracelets. I finally had to get prescription Zofran around week 8 or 9 I think. I had to do my early morning cookie toss (yuck, sorry!) and THEN take the pill. It would stay down then.

Ginger ale and saltine crackers during the morning hours and then by late afternoon I was able to eat protein and craved a small cheeseburger from McDonalds. Not too healthy!

I know what you mean about the computer screen making you more queasy! My day job has me looking through a microscope all day. Ugh, awful!!

I always took my prenatals before bed and didn't feel bad from those.

Smooth dissolve Tums are way tastier than chalky/crunchy Tums for heartburn.

Smelling lemon or sucking on sour candy didn't help me, but it does help some people!

Don't be afraid to ask the doc for relief if it gets too bad! Hopefully, your insurance will pay the hefty cost so you can feel better.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 1:41pm
post #27 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie7224

If you are taking pre-natal vitamins make sure you eat something (even just a little something) BEFORE you take them. Pre-natals made me horribly ill....Stay away from anything that smells too strong and you can try acupuncture bracelets sold at any drugstore. They are supposed to be for motion sickness, but they put pressure on a nerve that can sometimes help reduce nausea. And CONGRATULATIONS!

Pre-Natals made me super super sick too... I didn't even realize it was them until I forgot to take them one day and I wasn't sick icon_confused.gif Maybe talk to your doc about the vitamins with the extra dose of B... those are supposed to help, but they made me sick too thumbsdown.gif

leafO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leafO Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 1:41pm
post #28 of 35

Congratulations on the coming baby! So sorry you are having morning sickness. One thing that really worked for me was chewing almonds. They have a nice mild flavor and give you a quick little bit of protein.

Real ginger ale was also great. Sometimes I would cut some shavings off of a fresh ginger root and put them in a little zip lock in my pocket so I could take them out to smell or chew on when the need arose.

Another thing you might try is Doterra essential oils. I love them! They are the only ones out there that are FDA approved for using topically and internally because they meet such high purity standards.(you can put them in a capsule and swallow them). They have lots of different oils that help with different things. I used them towards the end of my last pregnancy for pain and to help increase circulation in my legs, baby was sitting on my spine, ouch! They were so helpful, I wish I had found them sooner so I could have used them to help with the morning sickness. I would suggest trying peppermint or the bend called digestzen which has peppermint and ginger in it. They also have ginger by itself.

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 2:01pm
post #29 of 35

Congrats, all mommies-to-be! With my first pregnancy, I hardly even knew I was pregnant. With my second, though, I thought I was just gonna throw up till I was in labor lol .

Sucking hard candy did help. For me it was peppermint. The strong smell/flavor helped, and just having that candy in my mouth seemed to make things better. And ginger is a well-known remedy for many.

BosCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BosCakes Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 2:38pm
post #30 of 35

First, congratulations! Even though you feel terrible, there will be a time you'll miss being pregnant!

Pre-natal vitamins made me sick, too, so my doctor told me to take 2 chewable Flinstone's vitamins. Didn't taste too great, but they were much nice to my tummy!

Constant light snacking helped a ton, too. I felt worse when I waited too long between snacks/meals.

Good luck, and remember, "this too shall pass"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%