Gumpaste Dragonflies

Decorating By PaulasPastries Updated 4 Oct 2010 , 4:15pm by Polarcakes

PaulasPastries Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PaulasPastries Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 1:56pm
post #1 of 5

Does anyone have a template for making dragonflies out of gumpaste? Or using gelatin for the wings? I found a mold for it but it was way too expensive so i want to do it by hand. Thanks!

4 replies
Polarcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polarcakes Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 9:20pm
post #2 of 5

This is how I made my gumpaste dragonflies.

I found a dragonfly cookie cutter, rolled out a fairly thin piece of gumpaste. I then made small balls in different shapes for the bodies three sections, and two small balls for the eyes. Doing so added dimension unto the body. I then used different gumpaste tools ( out of the gumpaste tool set) and made ridges on the wings, body,for the eyes etc. I also added strips to separate body sections etc. I took some vodka and some food color and brushed it on to give it color.

DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 9:46pm
post #3 of 5

I would use a cookie cutter! I have seen them around at many places!

psmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psmith Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 10:13pm
post #4 of 5

I've made dragonflies using fondant for the body and gelatin for the wings. If you use green or blue gelatin they look very realistic. For the veins you can mold them in a leaf mold and just trim up when dry. Or you can use rice paper and thinned (I use vodka) food color to tint and paint on the veins. I did butterflies with rice paper and fondant bodies. With rice paper, you can easily trace the outline and cut.

Polarcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polarcakes Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 4:15pm
post #5 of 5

Here`s an example of what one of my dragonflies looked like.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1824051

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%