Two Part Issue

Decorating By maudie21 Updated 3 Oct 2010 , 10:55pm by maudie21

maudie21 Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 12:48pm
post #1 of 3

I've been asked to do a large square wedding cake. I have two concerns. First, the corners of square cakes can sometimes come out very dried out and hard. Are there any tricks to keep the corners from doing this? Maybe wrapping the corners with tin foil?
Second, and forgive my ignorance, I have seen mentioned that on larger sizes, its good to use a heating core and I can't seem to find one anywhere. I have also read about bakng the cakes with a flower nail in the center, does this do the same thing as a heating core?

2 replies
JanH Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 10:14pm
post #2 of 3

Using bake-even strips can help prevent overbaking of cake edges. (I usually bake at 325, and have never had a dry WASC cake of any shape, including rectangles).

Inverted (greased & floured) flowers nails can be substituted for a heating core. The larger the pan, the more flower nails I use (but I've never used more than 3).

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Above super thread has popular CC recipes for American buttercreams, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations) - and so much more!

One of the "so much mores" is a discussion on the use of bake-even strips and inverted flowers.

HTH

maudie21 Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 10:55pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks, that does help alot. I do have some more questions though. Would I need to use both baking strips and flower nails? Also, is there any guidelines for the number of flower nails to how large the cake is?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%