Ideas For Toy Story Party Favors

Lounge By tavyheather Updated 7 Oct 2010 , 9:57pm by tavyheather

tavyheather Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 5:12am
post #1 of 16

Throwing a Buzz and Woody themed party for my now 3-yr-old twin boys...

Just sent out the invites and realized there are THIRTY FIVE kids invited, not including babies...

I've got the cake idea, the food...but I'm agonizing over the favors...

I was thinking of buying temporary tattoos and cutting the pop-up sponges in the shape of a star or alien face...so ud have ur own tattoo and sponge to put it on with..

I've heard wonderful ideas about making ur own coloring books, buying little army men, Toy Story fruit snacks, stickers, sheriff badges.....

I want something cute but my biggest concern is time; I want to spend my time on the cake!

So what is your experience in doing party favors? What would be the best for so many kids?

15 replies
CWR41 Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 5:47am
post #2 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tavyheather

I've heard wonderful ideas about making ur own coloring books, buying little army men, Toy Story fruit snacks, stickers, sheriff badges.....

Too much time involved for the make-your-own coloring books--buy 'em.
Like the bucket-o-army men, but are most of the children also 3-yr-olds?
The other items are great.
How about buying mini Etch-A-Sketches? Wal-Mart has them... I think for $2.99 each.

tavyheather Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 5:50am
post #3 of 16

yes, most of the other "little" guests are just about 3 yrs old. Is it b/c they wont be into army men until they're older?

Cost is also an issue but my time is more important...so buying coloring books is way smarter but I have a feeling 35 of them would be expensive. Maybe I'll just scratch that!

Love the mini etch-a-sketches idea!

CWR41 Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 5:53am
post #4 of 16

Also, Halloween stores are a good source for Toy Story items this time of year. They have small foam "Woody" cowboy hats with the leather stitching that you can buy separately (without a costume)... I'm guessing 10"-12" in total diameter--very cute!

CWR41 Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 6:11am
post #5 of 16
Quote:

yes, most of the other "little" guests are just about 3 yrs old. Is it b/c they wont be into army men until they're older?

Cost is also an issue but my time is more important...so buying coloring books is way smarter but I have a feeling 35 of them would be expensive. Maybe I'll just scratch that!
Love the mini etch-a-sketches idea!

Not sure about what age is appropriate for army men... if they're all boys they'd probably dig 'em just fine. I guess I wondered about choking hazard, but they're probably large enough to not worry if the younger ones get a hold of them.

Yes, the etch-a-sketch is a cool toy, but probably more expensive than the coloring books. (Does anybody have enough room for another coloring book? Our house was taken over with them for so many years! They wanted them all--I guess that's the price you pay for having artistic little ones!) Maybe you could cut out many of the smaller favors and just go with that one item that wouldn't get eaten, used up, or thrown away.

tavyheather Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 6:19am
post #6 of 16

so true...does anyone actually use the coloring books? They're so obnoxious and at this age my boys just want to tear the pages out. nuff said. nix the coloring books. I think I'm going to run with my tattoo idea. We'll see if I can do it quickly and on the cheap!

cakesbycathy Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 4:02pm
post #7 of 16

Try Oriental Trading Company. Tons of themed favors, cheap! thumbs_up.gif

itsmylife Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 3:44am
post #8 of 16

Some more cheap party favor ideas....

glow sticks (useful with Halloween coming up)
punch balloons (I get those in the dollar store for a 4-pack)
bubbles
a Toy Story character pez dispenser

hollyml Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 5:29am
post #9 of 16

Buy a few large boxes of crayons or markers, and divide into packets of 3-5 colors. One packet for each kid. This works out a lot cheaper than buying the little individual boxes of 4 crayons, and the kids get more interesting colors too. icon_smile.gif Use Google Images to find appropriate coloring pages, and then just print or photocopy a couple for each kid. You don't have to make a whole coloring book; just stick a few sheets in a gift bag!

(You can use the same basic idea for other things -- like, buy a box of 100 plastic cookie cutters and a couple 20-color packs of the little play-doh cans, re-sort into 2 cutters and 1 can of doh for each kid. Put each set in a goody bag and tie a helium-filled balloon to the bag. Voila, cute party favor bag, and the balloons serve as decorations also.

Of course you can add some stickers, army men, whatever. Oriental Trading really is a great source for that stuff, especially when you need three dozen of each thing. It doesn't take that long to just assemble the bags. My kids like to help me do it, putting one of each party favor item in each bag. I tend to be kind of obsessive about every favor relating to the party theme, which not everyone does...of course it's easier and cheaper to get a big pack of miscellaneous stickers than to hunt down ONLY things from Toy Story. icon_smile.gif But for 3yos you don't need to have too much. A couple coloring pages and crayons, a temp tattoo, a sheriff badge and a balloon, they're happy. icon_smile.gif

leily Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 12:09pm
post #10 of 16

I am already starting to pick up favors for my kids birthdays next year. Granted we don't have 35 kids coming, but there are still quite a few kids in the family and they range from 1-8.

I found a pack of play-doh for $10 it has the smaller cans of playdoh but there's 66 in the pkg! So that was only 15cents per can!

I'm another fan of oriental trading, i just suggest taking a look at the reviews online as some of their stuff is good and some can be really cheap. Also check out the dollar store and as others mentioned look for packages of items that can be broken down.

I try to stay away from buying everything to the theme of the party and try to find stuff that is usable at that time of year. My son's birthday is in June so I picked up soem of the large boxes of sidewalk chalk on clearence this year $3 for 55 peices, so i'll be using this next year in the pkgs too.

tavyheather Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 4:45am
post #11 of 16

thanks all!

I love the glowsticks idea, I just bought my boys some tonight before I read this! My hubby suggested the Pez dispensers (already bought them for my boys, so cute..love them!) but at $1.25/ea I can't do it...

I love OrientalTrading but really I didn't find anything in there! Maybe I'll look again...

Just found the pop-up sponges and they were way smaller than I thought and waaayyy more expensive than I was hoping. So far I have in their goody bags: army men (found at the $1 store, score!), Toy Story fruit snacks, ...and ??? hoping to find sheriff badges for cheap...

CWR41 Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 4:55am
post #12 of 16
Quote:

hoping to find sheriff badges for cheap...

Maybe you can make them! Cut them out and laminate them with clear Contact paper, and use double-sided tape/sticky dots on the back.

hollyml Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 7:49am
post #13 of 16

Contact your local county sheriff or city police dept and ask if they have "junior officer" sticker badges. They often give 'em out at community events and might let you have a bag of 'em for free. icon_smile.gif

tavyheather Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 8:27pm
post #14 of 16

holy geez u ladies r fantastic! I love the making my own idea...and I'll stop in my local dept soon...we'll see how many I can get!!

tavyheather Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 8:59pm
post #15 of 16

Just stopped in our local police dept. I scored 28 sticker badges! Problem is...they're not stars..they're actual badges...

oh well! I'll call them the "modern" version of Woody's badge.

Thanks again ladies! Love all of ur creative genius!!!

tavyheather Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 9:57pm
post #16 of 16

crap I feel dumb...I told my husband what happened and he informed me that the sheriff and police dept. are diff...what?! ok so I went to the sheriff dept and they were slightly annoyed but gave me 12 stickers...when I asked where the next closest station was so I could get more from them, she claimed no one else would give me any (boo!) Oh well, that's what I get for being cheap!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%