Getting The Shaft?

Decorating By jhay Updated 3 Oct 2010 , 1:13pm by Redsoxbaker

jhay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhay Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 4:05am
post #1 of 13

Ok... so I have a friend at work and I've been making cakes for her grandkids for the past 3 years. I always make her cakes elaborate and fun and CHEAP because I love her to death.

Well... Last week, a relative of hers contacted me to see if I'd make a cake for her daughter's birthday. I quoted her a price, (which is still way under what it should be) and she came back with the , "That's more that I wanted to spend" bit. No biggie...

The next morning, my friend come to me and says she wants to buy the cake for the little girl's birthday as her gift. I can't help but feel used. I know my friend wouldn't have offered to buy the cake if the relative hadn't complained. I feel badly for my friend, but I also have principles. I'm thinking of refusing to do it regardless...

what do you think?

12 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 4:14am
post #2 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhay

The next morning, my friend come to me and says she wants to buy the cake for the little girl's birthday as her gift.

I think it was a nice gesture for her to offer to pay for the cake.

silverc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silverc Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 4:17am
post #3 of 13

I would tell her I will do it, but give the same price you already quoted.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 4:18am
post #4 of 13

Same price. Nuff said.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 4:22am
post #5 of 13

I agree someone is trying to take advantage of you. Yep same price.

Montrealconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Montrealconfections Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 4:22am
post #6 of 13

I totally agree requote the same price she can't start being the middle man on her friends orders with you to get them all a discount.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 8:25am
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealconfections

I totally agree requote the same price she can't start being the middle man on her friends orders with you to get them all a discount.

agree!

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 9:14am
post #8 of 13

If indeed she is your friend then she will respect and appreciate you and understand that you have quoted a fair price for the cake and even tho she is getting the cake for a gift , your quote stands firm .

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 10:27am
post #9 of 13

I say the same price too!

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 10:40am
post #10 of 13

Does your friend understand that you've been giving her a discount due to your friendship?
Stick to your guns about the price for this other client. You don't want business to get in the way of your friendship.
Just my .02 icon_smile.gif

Melanie Mc.

online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 11:30am
post #11 of 13

I would quote her the same price. OR tell her you would love to make the cake @ the quoted price for another date as THAT date was just booked this morning.. Go from there, but don't lower your price. And as much as you enjoy creating cake for your friend, perhaps you should start becoming unavailable on those dates as well. If feel she is taking advantage of your kindness.

Gingi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingi Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 12:15pm
post #12 of 13

Let her pay for the cake at the original price you quoted. She wants to give it to her relative as a gift. She will appreciate your freebie cakes much more in the future and not take your friendship to her so much for granted. It's not the value of the cake itself but the value of her friendship with you. You've already proved yourself as a friend and made cakes for her because you do value this relationship. She's offered to pay so if you feel like making the cake, do it. Next time she'll think twice before offering your labor to someone else so willingly.

Redsoxbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redsoxbaker Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 1:13pm
post #13 of 13

If she's such a good friend, I bet she doesn't expect you to discount her relatives cake. Maybe her relative made her feel bad so she said she would pay for it. Just tell her the price you told her relative and you won't have to worry about it again. You set the record straight the first time and from that point on you don't have to worry any more! She will appreciate your discount so much more from now on. Don't feel guilty for being a GREAT friend ! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%