How To Get That Tye Dye Look In Fondont Covered Cakes?

Decorating By mom2my3girlz Updated 3 Oct 2010 , 2:25am by sgregory

mom2my3girlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2my3girlz Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 1:32am
post #1 of 7

I dont know how to even start. Do I add different color gels to white or mix in different color fondonts and mush them together? no clue.

6 replies
LogansMommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LogansMommie Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 1:54am
post #2 of 7

I haven't tried this myself so curious to see what others have to say.

I was thinking of doing it and this is what I thought would work...First you have to think about what colors you are trying to achieve in the tie dye color... If it's multiple colors, I would color equal pieces of fondant (however many colors you are looking for) and then roll them into strips. Carefully squish them together and then roll together. I think the trick is to stay away from having to roll it out too many times as you may end up with a dark brownish mess!

Maybe practice with a small amount and see what happens? That's what I usually do before trying a new technique on an actual project cake! icon_smile.gif

Good luck!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 2:02am
post #3 of 7

I got some neon gels--Americolor makes them and you can get them in the cake decorating area of some grocery stores and WalMarts made by Betty Crocker.

I took the amount of white fondant I needed to cover my cake and then divided it into 5 or 6 equal portions. I then dyed each portion a different color. I rolled each color into a snake, coiled them all together, and then rolled out my piece to cover the cake.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1701088

Rae

glow0369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glow0369 Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 2:04am
post #4 of 7

I have only mixed different colored fondants. Seems like mixing gel colors would be a big mess.....

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 2:11am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by glow0369

I have only mixed different colored fondants. Seems like mixing gel colors would be a big mess.....

I'm sorry, I don't see where someone suggested mixing gels together......I believe we both suggested dying white fondant multiple colors. I suggested using neon colors either made by Americolor or Betty Crocker.

Rae

glow0369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glow0369 Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 2:20am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2my3girlz

I dont know how to even start. Do I add different color gels to white or mix in different color fondonts and mush them together? no clue.

This was confusing to me... thought she meant mixing several gel colors together with white... hhhmmmm

sgregory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgregory Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 2:25am
post #7 of 7

I just colored different colors of fondant separately, and then combined them all together to put on the cake! But don't over combine/mix...or it will just become one dull color

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%