Overworked Satin Ice! Order Due Tomorrow Help!

Decorating By giglechk4u Updated 5 Oct 2010 , 7:11pm by giglechk4u

giglechk4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giglechk4u Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 9:54pm
post #1 of 8

I was trying to get a very speific color and didnt want to add too much and not beable to go back. So I added little by little. Now, I think that the fondant is overworked because after adding loads of crisco I'm still getting this "tear"/smeared kind of look of the fondant.

Please help!! I dont know what to do. Cake order is due tomorrow! As you can tell I'm a little new.

Also, I read to add glycerin, I dont have any of that and I dont know where I can find it at this point because its a saturday. Please please help!!

Thanks!! icon_sad.gificon_sad.gif

7 replies
thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 8

Maybe try adding a little more powder sugar, then let it rest for a while. I have never had fondant that is over worked. It sounds to me that maybe you are rolling it out to thin.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 10:19pm
post #3 of 8

What specific color is it? If it's a deep/dark color like red or black, the microwave might help to make it more pliable.

SugarFiend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFiend Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 10:41pm
post #4 of 8

I know exactly what you mean. I had the same thing happen to me mixing up burgundy. I actually called Satin Ice about it. If I remember correctly, she suggested working a bit of powdered sugar in, wrapping it tightly in Saran Wrap, then letting it rest in the fridge for 20 minutes to half an hour or so.

It sounded odd to me, because it's contrary to the microwaving people so often suggest. Instead of trying it (the refrigeration, that is), I gave up and just went with a different color (I was a little panicky as well).

But if you have an extra half an hour, I can't imagine it would hurt to try.

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 10:51pm
post #5 of 8

sorry I don't have any advice on fixing it but if you have a Michaels or Hobby Lobby nearby they should have Glycerin.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 1:04am
post #6 of 8

Please, just leave it alone for awhile--no more crisco, no more glycerin, no nuking.

Wrap it up in some saran, put in a zip loc bag, and put in the fridge for half an hour. When you take it out, knead it just a bit and try rolling out a small piece. If it works OK, go for it. If not, then add some PS a little at a time.

If you let it rest, it should be fine.

Rae

giglechk4u Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 1:25am
post #7 of 8

Sugarfiend thank you soo much! I kept adding crisco thinking it was too dry then realizing thats not the case! After realizing i looked up what to do and read that crisco makes it worse! but the PS did help a little but now it seems a little dry. Does anyone know if It is okay to add crisco now? Oh and thanks BlakesCakes for responding too. I'll also let it rest a little longer and see what happens. Should I continue to let it rest in the fridge? or no more than 30 min. in the fridge?

giglechk4u Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 7:11pm
post #8 of 8

Yes it definitely worked icon_smile.gif I let a sit longer and it got better. The only thing I have to say is that I think it was the batch of satin ice I had gotten because after putting the colored one aside to let settle....I went to work with the plain white that I hadnt kneaded yet and that too had air in it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%