Diabetic Cup Cake.. Ideas Please

Baking By dodge666 Updated 4 Oct 2010 , 2:59pm by dodge666

dodge666 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodge666 Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 9:41pm
post #1 of 9

My dad is diabetic , he cant take in any sugar at all.
Does anybody know how I can make the cake sweet without sugar? sweetner maybe ?? advise please. icon_smile.gif

8 replies
thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 9:54pm
post #2 of 9

If you go to w w w. d l i f e. c o m (leave out the spaces), they have all kinds of recipes for cooking and bakin for diabetics. Hope that helps icon_smile.gif

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 10:00pm
post #3 of 9

Also Pillsbury just came out with a totally sugar free cake in a couple flavors and they also said they have SF icing. Not that you want to use that but it's sooooooooooooooooooooooooo hard doing for diabetics. I'm one also.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 10:01pm
post #4 of 9

So is my mom! I often use unsweetened applesauce to my recipes for her and others I know.

Splenda is a good alternative because you can bake with it but I found lots of their recipes use 1/2 product and 1/2 sugar so that's why I started using the applesauce.

HTH

dodge666 Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 10:31am
post #5 of 9

Thank you everybody, my dad hasent had a cke for years.. Id love to make him one.

Kind regards kim icon_biggrin.gif

steffiessweet_sin_sations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 1:33am
post #6 of 9

i have made several diabetic cupcakes, with splenda instead of sugar and all fruit preserves, dont try the the sugar free preserves, they dont set up at all, everyone loved them! you cant even tell they are sugar free. i also made a sugar free frosting to use with them, although the texture is a little grainy. take equal parts of splenda and corn starch and process it in a food processor, use it like u would in your reg buttercream frosting. i also add a little preserves in the frosting whatever flavor u r making. Good luck, the people who order these say they are the best sugar free they have ever had!

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 2:36am
post #7 of 9

FYI: As a diabetic, and a baker, I feel compelled to educate you (just a little) about diabetes and sugar. Sugar is only part of the issue. The real issue is ALL carbohydrates in general...fruit, flour, milk, corn starch, etc etc etc...all carbs we use in baking...PLUS sugar in all forms. Beans and ice cream and crackers and sweet potatoes ...so many things are high in carbs. The body "reads" them all and metabolizes them all as Sugar. So a sugar-free cake, if such a thing is possible, won't help him much. And likely will not be especially palatable.

Incidentally, I've read the labels of many reduced sugar or sugar free products, including the new Pillsbury REDUCED SUGAR cake mixes and Pillsbury REDUCED SUGAR icings (Neither is sugar free). They have essentially the same number of carbs. Usually when the sugar is removed, something else , maybe worse, is added. Like higher sodium. I'd rather have a little bit of the real thing than eat something less than good, and less good for me. Some of the additives are sugar-alcohols which will give a person diarrhea if you have more than a small amount. No thanks!

Personally, if I want a piece of cake, I budget it in with a meal, choosing to NOT have something else, like a slice of bread or a serving of fruit or a glass of milk or half a small baked potato. Generally, a 2x2x2 piece of plain cake, no frosting, is 2 carbohydrate servings (approximately 30 grams total). With 2 tablespoons of icing, that would add at least another carb serving, for a total of 45+ gms of carbs in that serving.

I am a member of the dLife forums, and as someone here said, there are many many great recipes there. But I have never ever found a good LOW carb cake recipe. They don't rise very well, nor do they have good texture, without sugar, in my opinion.

I apologize if I have offended anyone, but truth is truth concerning the health of someone you love.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 6:56am
post #8 of 9

Sugar Frosted, thank you for that info. I know all these things like I said I take care of my mother who is diabetic. I learned long ago that everything converts to sugar (glucose) carbs much higher.

Many years ago, diabetics were given a more restrictive diet. Today its all about balance and moderation.

Not offended!

dodge666 Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 2:59pm
post #9 of 9

God maybe I won't bake my dad a cake. Thank you for taking the time to add to my thread.

Kind regards kim

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%