How Do I Make Fondant And Gumpaste Models In Rainy Weather?

Baking By Rochelle1 Updated 24 Mar 2011 , 2:02am by Rochelle1

Rochelle1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rochelle1 Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 8:19pm
post #1 of 8

Its been rainy continuiously here in Jamaica and I had a fashionista cake to make. I needed to make a Ribbon for a gift box and shoes, and a 21 topper. But I started it and the items just would not dry. I had to let the customer know it was not possible in the end. She has postpone it till next week Thursday, but the weather forecast says rain into week after next. What can I do. I do not have an a/c. I work in a kitchen with regular room temperature. Even if I dont solve it for this order I need to know what to do as Sept, Oct are rainy months here. Its messing up even my simple cake order as I use fondant to create simple elegant designs not found in the regular bake shops here.

7 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 8:37pm
post #2 of 8

hi, either pastiallage or mexican paste. Do you have any recipes for these two mediums. They would be probably on here or , i know all over the internet. I make both at times for more sturdiness. hth

Larkin121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larkin121 Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 8:58pm
post #3 of 8

Hmmm, is it also hot there? Because the rain alone shouldn't be an issue. I live in Seattle and it rains a lot here as everyone knows. I haven't had trouble with fondant and gumpaste flowers and figures.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 9:13pm
post #4 of 8

Have you tried Nicholas Lodge's gumpaste? It has a lot more body than some other recipes I've tried, and it dries pretty fast.

Could you get a window AC for the kitchen? That's really the best solution, some kind of air conditioner to take the moisture out of the air. A dehumidifer would work too but they cost more than the window unit, put a little hot air out into the room, and they have a bucket you have to empty a couple times a day. I used one when I lived where I couldn't put a window unit and the central air didn't work.

icer101 Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 9:28pm
post #5 of 8

truly, pastiallage or mexican paste is the way to go in your weather . I hope you try it. You will love it. I too, make nick lodges recipe and it is strong , but not like the pastiallage or mexican paste. Globalsugarart. sell these mediums and all you have to do is add water.

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 9:44pm
post #6 of 8

Here is my recipe:
Pastillage
Sugar 10 X   1 Pound
Water  3 Tablespoons
Lemon Juice  2 Tablespoons
Unflavored Gelatin  1 Envelope or 1 Tablespoon
Glucose  1 Heaping teaspoon
Instructions
In a double boiler pan, add the water, lemon juice and gelatin in and heat very gently just until completely dissolved.
Add the glucose to the dissolved gelatin and mix well.
Put the sifted sugar in a large bowl and make a well in the center.
Pour the mixture into the well and mix first with a spoon and then with your hands until you have a nice consistency.
Add more sugar if very soft, drops of water if too stiff. Keep in a plastic bag or airtight container

It works great to make all kinds of flowers, shoe's etc. You have to work fast, because it does tend to dry faster. I always use it for those last minute decors, or ones that I break. Hope it helps. icon_smile.gif

icer101 Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 10:14pm
post #7 of 8

I use the same pastiallage recipe that thatslifeca uses. It is really good. That is what i use to make people, animals,etc. , and true. last minute whatevers.

Rochelle1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rochelle1 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 2:02am
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone for the information. Everything worked out well in the end. Rain stopped falling. I have used the Patiallage since it works wonderful in the wet weather

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%