New Member- Where To Find Vanilla Beans?

Decorating By Linda67 Updated 4 Oct 2010 , 1:58pm by jstoops08

Linda67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linda67 Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 6

Hello everyone. This is my very first post. I've loved to cook and bake for years but have finally taken the leap to becoming serious about the baking and I'm trying to make a buiness out of it. icon_smile.gif Anyhow...I've checked with a couple grocers in my area and can't seem to find Vanilla Beans anywhere. Does anyone have any suggestions? One of the stores is very well known for carrying great produce and lots of unique fruits, veggies and spices. I thought for sure they would have them but no such luck. I'm in the Chicago area. Thanks in advance.

5 replies
online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 6:19pm
post #2 of 6

You should have no problem finding them if you are located in the Chicago area! Almost every single health food / organic store carries them. I'm about 3 hours south of Chicago and locally they run about $11 for a tube of 2 beans. They are expensive but COMPELTELY worth every penny if I run out. Just make sure they are fresh and haven't been on the shelf for years. Trader Joe's usually carries them, have you checked there yet?

I would like to recommend shopping online for the beans. I found a seller on ebay long ago and have used them frequently. I haven't found a better price. http://stores.ebay.com/Vanilla-Products-USA or ebay id: vanillaproducts

They carry several varities and can often buy as many as 30 for $12. They are well established, ship fast and they're product has always been superior. Hope this helps!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 6

You can also get them from Amazon. I have found them locally in a gourmet store in New York City, but I think the Amazon beans have excellent reviews. I make my own vanilla bean extract, so I am usually putting more and more into the bottle of vodka, so I've ordered a lot sometimes. But you could try ordering just a few, I think they have good prices and also smaller packages.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C5UYF4/?tag=cakecentral-20

Sweetwise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetwise Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 1:22pm
post #4 of 6

Was excited to see the source from another post: Someone getting great prices for smaller amounts at World Market, and good prices on Ebay as well. Will check into that myself!

goodiegoddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodiegoddess Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 1:35pm
post #5 of 6

I live in Canada but our Costco/Price Clubs (Sam's Culb in the US) sells them. You get HUGE beans 8 in a pack for $8.99

jstoops08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jstoops08 Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 1:58pm
post #6 of 6

I've ordered from Beanilla.com before and the beans I have received from them are great. They are also reasonably priced. I think a rep from Beanilla posted on here before with a code to get a discount for CC members. I'll have to look for it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%