Short Fur Effect?

Decorating By tguegirl Updated 5 Oct 2010 , 2:38pm by VickeyC

tguegirl Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 4:36pm
post #1 of 10

Does anyone know how to get a short fur effect like this? (not using a grass tip)

It's the stuffed dog by Stumptowncakes. I pm-ed him/her a few weeks ago, but never got a response. The caption reads "I keep getting requests for how I did the texture...try using a rubber kitchen scrubber--Debbie Brown shows the technique in one of her books."

What is a rubber kitchen scrubber? I would be happy to buy the book if I knew which one it was!

9 replies
wrightway777 Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 10

Ok, I'll take a guess at this. It looks heavily impressioned on...I think she pressed something like this
into the still very soft fondant (wont work if dry). You could magnify the effect by using a stippling brush.

zespri Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 6:10am
post #3 of 10

I have just looked through five Debbie Brown books as I think it's amazing too, and can't see anything like that at all! The only fur she describes texturising is done with either a toothpick or by jabbing the tip of a star piping tip into the fondant repeatedly.

She talks about a rubber kitchen scrubber..... I'm not sure I've ever seen a rubber kitchen scrubber, but if you think about other kitchen scrubbers, pressing them onto the fondant would probably get a similar effect.

afunk Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 8:47am
post #4 of 10

That is a great texture!
Maybe a "rubber kitchen scrubber" she means something like a plastic Brillo pad?? Or like this handled scrubber:

(I hope that worked) and I hope that helps! icon_smile.gif

FlourPots Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 10:26am
post #5 of 10

In the Debbie Brown book I used for this cake:

she instructs you to press a food-safe scourer into fondant for the texture on her crown & robe...I used a pair of tweezers...

It looked like terry cloth to me when I was done, but I was pinching very firmly...
maybe a lighter touch would work for your project??

afunk Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 1:44pm
post #6 of 10

Maybe a "rubber kitchen scrubber" she means something like a plastic Brillo pad?? Or like this handled scrubber:

I added the other link from my phone, here's a better link to the plastic scrubber that may work:
Sorry for any confusion. icon_biggrin.gif

tguegirl Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 2:34am
post #7 of 10

These are some great suggestions! I think I'm going to purchase a bunch of kitchen scrubbers/loofahs like you guys suggested and just try it out. Here goes nothing!

sweetcakes Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 3:27am
post #8 of 10

i wonder if it would be more like the rubber brushes you can buy for removing the silk from corn on the cob, it has loads of very fine rubber bristles, just like a hair brush.

CakesbyCarla Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 2:18pm
post #9 of 10

I'd say it's maybe a soft, palm brush, like you use to hand wish dishes. Here's a link to an image of one to give you a visual. I think you could just pick one up at the grocery store easy enough by the dish soap.**http%3a//

VickeyC Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 2:38pm
post #10 of 10

The first thought that came to my mind is the little scrubby things with the sponge on one side and the scrubber on the other. Not sure how food safe that would be, but that is what I use to clean any heavy stuck on food off of my dishes and cookware. I guess with it being sold for that purpose, it might be ok. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%