Business By Kitagrl Updated 13 Mar 2011 , 10:12pm by imagenthatnj

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 3:07pm
post #31 of 50

Kita your cake is gorgeous as always! Hope this week is better for you! :]

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 3:25pm
post #32 of 50

Is this the one? It says it has been "discontinued." I just want to make sure I never buy one of the ones that caused the problem. I use an apple corer for cupcakes. What is the diameter of this plastic one?

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?sku=304-8172

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 4:46pm
post #33 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

Is this the one? It says it has been "discontinued." I just want to make sure I never buy one of the ones that caused the problem. I use an apple corer for cupcakes. What is the diameter of this plastic one?

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?sku=304-8172

Yep that's it....I've had it for years but rarely use it. Never will again!!!! Only holding onto it until I hear back from the company.

imagenthatnj Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 4:56pm
post #34 of 50

Your cake is beautiful. I hope everything works out for you.

Do you think a plain pineapple corer is about the same size and will work about the same way for big cakes, to replace this piece of plastic from Wilton? Just an idea in case an apple corer is too small.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0037XBC7W/?tag=cakecentral-20

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 5:51pm
post #35 of 50
Quote:

Your cake is beautiful. I hope everything works out for you.

Do you think a plain pineapple corer is about the same size and will work about the same way for big cakes, to replace this piece of plastic from Wilton? Just an idea in case an apple corer is too small.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0037XBC7W/?tag=cakecentral-20

gotta love smart ppl icon_smile.gif thanks for that tip!

Kitagrl Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 8:08pm
post #36 of 50

The pineapple corer is a great idea! And if one needed a larger hole, it would be easy to widen it a tad with a knife once the initial straight hole was made.

Hm.

LisaMarie86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMarie86 Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 8:55pm
post #37 of 50

Im glad you found out what it was and I think your plan for covering your booty is a good one. I think that if there was more in the cake you would have found it with the additional cutting but think it was a good idea to cover more with serving guidelines. It was a gorgeous cake. You will have to keep us up to date on what Wilton says and if the client says anything.

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 9:30pm
post #38 of 50

I just googled it because I didn't know what it was (or why it would be used), and found that it is discontinued. Maybe other people had problems with it.

In any case, I hope it all goes well for you. I don't have any wise words, just sending you positive-outcome vibes. The cake is stunning, btw!

Kitagrl Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 7:07pm
post #39 of 50

Just to update...got a call from the MOB today and she told me the cake was beautiful and delicious...said everything was just perfect so that was great. She was calling about returning the stand for the deposit but she had nothing but good things to say so that was a relief.

And I was SO glad I rebaked those layers too! She specifically complimented both the taste and texture of the cake...which the texture was what was wrong with the first layers and what had me rebaking them at the last minute. Made it worth it.

Kitagrl Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 7:08pm
post #40 of 50

(And no email yet from Wilton)

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 7:15pm
post #41 of 50

You may want to consider calling Wilton directly, since this is such a serious issue and email response can be spotty. Glad to hear there were no problems though.

Wilton Industries
2240 W. 75th St.
Woodridge, IL 60517
Phone: 630-963-1818 or 800-794-5866

Kitagrl Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 7:20pm
post #42 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkraft

You may want to consider calling Wilton directly, since this is such a serious issue and email response can be spotty. Glad to hear there were no problems though.

Wilton Industries
2240 W. 75th St.
Woodridge, IL 60517
Phone: 630-963-1818 or 800-794-5866

What would I say though? Say there were no problems and I lost no money and they don't have anything to replace it with so.... they'll be like..."Whats your point?"

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 7:23pm
post #43 of 50

It doesn't matter that there was no monetary loss...fact is, a product they designed for use in food service failed catastrophically (i.e. plastic pieces in the food) in normal use. That's a serious product safety issue they need to be aware of. If there is a systemic problem it could lead to a recall.

In my day job I work at a company that makes consumer products, and we take reports like this VERY seriously.

Kitagrl Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 7:33pm
post #44 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkraft

It doesn't matter that there was no monetary loss...fact is, a product they designed for use in food service failed catastrophically (i.e. plastic pieces in the food) in normal use. That's a serious product safety issue they need to be aware of. If there is a systemic problem it could lead to a recall.

In my day job I work at a company that makes consumer products, and we take reports like this VERY seriously.

They don't make it anymore....but anyway...if I don't hear from them soon, I'll go ahead and call. I saved the product as well as the one plastic piece I did find, just in case I need to send it to them.

imagenthatnj Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 7:40pm
post #45 of 50

You went through a lot, just even thinking about the possibility of someone choking on a piece of this plastic, and spent a lot of time thinking about a solution.

How lucky were you to eat that center piece of your cake?

There should be a recall. As jasonkraft says, this should be taken very seriously. I can't believe they haven't answered your email!

Kitagrl Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 7:44pm
post #46 of 50
Quote:

You went through a lot, just even thinking about the possibility of someone choking on a piece of this plastic, and spent a lot of time thinking about a solution.

How lucky were you to eat that center piece of your cake?

There should be a recall. As jasonkraft says, this should be taken very seriously. I can't believe they haven't answered your email!

Yeah I"m so thankful to God He had me find that piece, because when I cut the center out of the base board my greedy self was snacking on the stuck-on cake! haha.

Wilton doesn't have good customer service with me so far....recently I bought a new 16" pan from them (needed last minute) and it was almost 3/4" smaller than the other Wilton 16" pan I had! So I wrote them complaining that their 16" pans were two different sizes (16" is 16", right?) and they kind of didn't believe me, so I sent them the number on the old one, and they claimed it wasn't a valid number...so I sent them photos of the pans and they stopped contacting me...no replacement or apology or anything...just stopped.

I didn't care enough to really push it...I'll eventually buy Fat Daddio or something anyway, I'm just too cheap at this point.

Kanike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kanike Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 7:14pm
post #47 of 50

I just Googled the issue of plastic found in sugar and found this message board. I bought 4 boxes of Dominos Sugar a month or so ago when it was on sale at CVS. I kept finding small shards of plastic in my iced tea and couldn't figure out where it came from. Last night I almost swallowed a piece of this plastic and it freaked me out. I live alone and could have choked and died! I went through the remaining sugar and found 4 other pieces. So, I'm just saying to the original poster that you did NOT get plastic shards from your Wilton mixer. I'm not sure how to proceed at this point, but I think Dominos should be held accountable!

imagenthatnj Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 7:38pm
post #48 of 50

Wilton corer, not a mixer. And her corer had missing teeth that she matched to the piece she found. Different case. If you read the whole thread you will see.

Kanike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kanike Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 7:48pm
post #49 of 50
Quote:

Wilton corer, not a mixer. And her corer had missing teeth that she matched to the piece she found. Different case. If you read the whole thread you will see.

Sorry, I was replying without the other post visible so I didn't remember that it was a corer, not a mixer. I read a few pages of posts and I did see others finding plastic in the sugar. I wanted to let them know they were not alone.

imagenthatnj Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 10:12pm
post #50 of 50

I've started to sift everything since this post as soon as I get it from the supermarket, just in case. I know it's crazy that we have to do that but it's the only way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%