Anyone Made Rv Cake Using Wasc Recipe, With Rv Mix As Base??

Baking By glester Updated 14 Oct 2010 , 1:31pm by Debi2

glester Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glester Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 1:33pm
post #1 of 6

I've seen different Red Velvet recipes on here...and I have usually used basically the WASC for white, choc, and strawberry...and it makes a decent amount of batter. I used a couple other recipes for the Red Velvet, that starts with a mix..I like that because it retains the red color without using food coloring...and I would have to make SO many of those recipes to do a four tiered cake that I really wanted a bigger recipe. The WASC adds a cup of flour and a cup of sugar to the box mix so it really makes more. Anyone done this with success?

5 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 1:49pm
post #2 of 6

I have. I didn't change anything or add anything (except omit the almond flavoring, of course). Worked great. icon_smile.gif

glester Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 1:55pm
post #3 of 6

Awesome Dianne...so you followed the WASC recipe exactly, but used RV mix instead of white? I thought about adding choc pudding mix to enhance the flavor as a lot of the recipes I see for RV add something like this. Thanks for your reply! icon_smile.gif I'm doing a 4 tiered wedding cake for next weekend and it will be my first wedding cake. I was going to start with a 14 in..but that size kinda scares me...lol. I plan on 12, 10, 8, 6. Approx 130 people. What do you think?

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 2:42pm
post #4 of 6

The only thing I changed was, 3 whole eggs rather than 4 egg whites. I only use whites for the white cake. Whole eggs for every other flavor.

I don't like red velvet, so I'm not the one to ask. However, the customer loved the cake. It's the chalice in my photos. They wanted red cake so it would look like wine when they cut it. hehe

Best of luck with your wedding cake. I think your sizes are fine for 130. I use a chart that's basically an average of the Wilton party and wedding charts, so it comes to 115 servings. Still think you'll be fine. icon_smile.gif

I'm not a big fan of 2-inch increments between tiers. To me, the cake kinda looks like a rocket. icon_smile.gif I prefer 3 or more inches between tier sizes, but again, that's just me!

glester Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 2:47pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the reply Diannie!! Yeah, I'm not a Red Velvet fan either, but they are having a fall wedding, her colors are brown and red and the reception decor is fall and her fiance loves RV, so thats what they want. Yes, I usually use 3 whole eggs instead of the 4 whites also. I really haven't done a tiered cake so I thought the 2 in increments would be OK..and I think it will work for them. I'm not doing a large border or a lot of decor, just a white cream cheese icing, scrolls on the layers..little round "ball" type border and artificial fall flowers and leaves from top down the side. I will have to experiement sometime with 3 in increments! Thanks SO much for your help and advice! I looked at your cakes and they are SO beautiful...you are a talented woman! icon_smile.gif

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 1:31pm
post #6 of 6

I actually made a red velvet cake using the WASC recipe last week. It worked great. I did add a little extra red food color because I thought all the extra ingredients being added to the mix would dilute the color. I also added a little extra cocoa (maybe 1/8 cup?), but I don't know that it was really necessary. Tasted great in the end though. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%