Kitchen Aid Question

Decorating By leannedash Updated 2 Oct 2010 , 8:40pm by tahloola

leannedash Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 1:30pm
post #1 of 6

Hello all! Im new here and have a few questions b4 I finally buy my first kitchen aid stand mixer. I am also rather new to cake baking. I make all the desserts for family functions and all the cakes for bdays...
I love to bake and bake and bake for the golidays....cookies mostly. SO, for my needs I would like to know which kitchen aid would suit my they come with most attachments that ill need...I am also going to attempt to make fondant in a couple of weeks for my daughters bday,,,gonna try is there a specific attachment that ill need just for much do they cost and best place to buy...i know, i know, lots of questions, but everyone on here is super friendly, helpful and most importantly talented!!
i was gonna try ebay, but i want to make sure i get the right one with the right accesories...
thanks to everyone...u all rock! thumbs_up.gif

5 replies
Crimsicle Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 6:41pm
post #2 of 6

I make MMF by hand, so I can't help you there. But, if I WERE going to make it in my Kitchenaid, I'd go for the biggest one I could afford! That stuff's STIFF!

As far as I know, Kitchenaids only come with paddles. You've got to buy any attachments as add-ons. Unless you run into someone who's having a special or something.

I have a 4 qt and a 6 qt. The 4 qt stays in the garage these days. I bought a small bowl as an accessory to the 6qt...and an extra big bowl as well. That's more than enough to get me through pretty much any job I get.

You have to weigh your needs against your budget. I got by for 30 years with a small one. I didn't NEED the big one. I just wanted it. icon_smile.gif If you don't make double cake recipes and huge batches of may only need the small one, too.

cakeythings1961 Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 7:02pm
post #3 of 6

I bought the KA Artisan 5 qt. at Lowe's. It came with paddle, whip & dough hook attachments as well as the pouring shield. I use all of these accessories at least weekly....ok, maybe not the whip. But I am very glad I have all of these. I'd also like to get the new paddle attachment with the scraping edge.

The Artisan model is awesome. The tilt head fits under the kitchen cabinets (unlike the models with the bowl lift feature,) and the motor is powerful and quiet. I haven't tried it for making MMF, but I wouldn't make buttercream without it. icon_smile.gif

ramie7224 Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 7:49pm
post #5 of 6

I have an artisan 5qt KitchenAid and I make MMF in it all the time. Mine came with the whip, paddle, and dough hook and my mom bought it from an outlet store for half price. It was refurbished, but came with a 6 month warranty.....3 years later and I haven't had the first problem.

tahloola Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 8:40pm
post #6 of 6

I have the 5qt professional. It came with all the attachments (15 years ago). My Sis in Law has the Artisan, she has to pull it out from under her cabinets to use (because of the tilt), however I can leave mine in place and never have to move it (it fits perfectly under my cabinets). I do move it to clean under it though, LOL.

Quote by @%username% on %date%