Question About Nick Lodge Gumpaste

Baking By gatorcake Updated 3 Oct 2010 , 1:05am by gatorcake

gatorcake Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 12:28pm
post #1 of 6

I am not overly concerned as it will do what I need it to do--I hope. I made the recipe for the first time. Did not kneed in all the extra sugar, maybe had about 1/3 cup left, but got it to the stage where it was not sticky when I did the pinch test.

After 24 hrs I took a bit out to test it. Rolled nicely, frilled the edges of the petal I made set it out to dry. When I checked it hours later it was hardening but still pliable. After a day out was mostly hard and figured no biggie. I set out to make leaves, and again took color well, rolled out nicely (did not seem overly elastic as other threads have mentioned). Anyway I checked the leaves (these are large 5 in oak leaves) which I made Thursday night, and will they have set up and hold their shape they are still soft (the leaves are bendable/flexible). I have used Wilton premade and know by now they would be hard that if I flexed them they would break. Have read other threads were people say Lodge's recipe is fast drying and dries hard like premade. Lodge experts any idea why leaves stiffened up but remained a bit soft?

Only thing I can thik of the remaining powdered sugar but given the amount of paste I can't imagine 1/3 of a cup would make that much difference. Thanks for any insights.

5 replies
artscallion Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 1:00pm
post #2 of 6

1. Did you follow his recipe exactly?
2. Is it raining?

Occther Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 1:10pm
post #3 of 6

I never had the full amount of powdered sugar in his recipe (probably as much as a cup less.) Never had any trouble with the paste drying. What type of tylose did you use? That might be the problem.

Cakechick123 Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 6

Ive had exactly the same thing with a ball of paste that I coloured green. The same batch I used a different colour on dried rock hard. Maybe its something in the green colouring that causes it?

gatorcake Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 1:05am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

1. Did you follow his recipe exactly?
2. Is it raining?

Re 1: Yes

Re 2: No

gatorcake Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 1:05am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occther

I never had the full amount of powdered sugar in his recipe (probably as much as a cup less.) Never had any trouble with the paste drying. What type of tylose did you use? That might be the problem.

The Tylose is by Jem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%