Pearl Dust

Decorating By cakemad51 Updated 5 Oct 2010 , 2:56pm by Apti

cakemad51 Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 12:01pm
post #1 of 12

I am new to cake decorating, can anyone please tell me which is the most affective way to cover fondant with pearl dust?

11 replies
DeezTreatz Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 9:49pm
post #2 of 12

I use a little lemon juice and add the pear dust - mix it up and then brush it on.

A lot of other people use vodka - and say it works amazing - then brush it on - just make sure you use a decent brush (Buy it at a cake decorating store)
I used a cheap one once and all of the bristles fell off into the liquid! LOL

grandmomof1 Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 10:07pm
post #3 of 12

You can also use pearl dust dry using a very soft brush (similar to the round and fluffy cosmetic brush). Just dust it on.

AngelFood4 Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 1:19am
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmomof1

You can also use pearl dust dry using a very soft brush (similar to the round and fluffy cosmetic brush). Just dust it on.

Ditto. You can also steam it a little to help the dust stick to the surface.

I also have brushed it on mixing the dust with almond extract. The extract dries clear and doesn't leave a sticky residue behind - don't use water.

srkmilklady Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 5:54am
post #5 of 12

I just purchased a "pump brush" and it works amazingly well! I just filled the tube with my super pearl...pump it a few times and start brushing your fondant. It gives a really nice even finish of the pearl. Very little waste with it too. If you haven't seen it before, just google "dusting powder pump brush" and it's the first thing that comes up. HTH...

Apti Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 6:57am
post #6 of 12

Although the first replies focused on "painting" with pearl dust, you will probably start out just dry dusting the pearl dust onto your fondant. Painting with a wet pearl dust is a more advanced technique.

Easy cheap quick way for newbies: Buy a Wilton white pearl dust. Buy a reasonable quality natural bristle paint brush at the same craft store with a brush tip about 1/4" to 1/2" wide ($2 or so). Put about a "pea" sized portion of the dry dust in a clean, dry coffee cup or saucer. Dip the brush lightly into the dust, then just lightly brush on to the fondant on your cake. The White Wilton Pearl dust will impart a sparking sheen to your entire surface without interfering with the color of your fondant decorations other than muting them somewhat. Once you've tried that, then you can branch out to painting with luster dust, highlighter dusts for gold or silver, disco dusts for intense sparkle, using a dust pump brush, etc. If you'd like more info or links, just pm me. Good luck!

LindaF144a Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 11:43am
post #7 of 12

I did exactly what Apti wrote. I did it both on dried fondant and on fondant that was newly applied. I did this in the class i took and in the class we used shortening to roll out the fondant instead of dry ingredients. This is so we can pick up our mat and lay it on the cake and peel it off. Then i do research and find out that the general consensus is to use CS or PS. Anyway, the shortneing caused me to get some paint streaks, but they were hidden by the bow. I did the rest of the cake later and did not get any brush streaks. I'm posting this to let you know that the result will matter depending on how you roll out the fondant.

shannycakers Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 11:58am
post #8 of 12

On that note, I seem to have problems using crisco too! I recently tried to paint on my fondant covered cake and the pain would not take.. it just look like rain spots that would just wipe off.. it was because crisco was on the cake fondant, and luster dust it effects too it seems, i love using crisco on my cake and alot of people suggest wiping your cake down with it.. Do you all have this problem too????

Apti Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 2:10pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannycakers

On that note, I seem to have problems using crisco too! I recently tried to paint on my fondant covered cake and the pain would not take.. it just look like rain spots that would just wipe off.. it was because crisco was on the cake fondant, and luster dust it effects too it seems, i love using crisco on my cake and alot of people suggest wiping your cake down with it.. Do you all have this problem too????

First, there's another thread going on here right now about a product called "The Mat" that is used to roll out fondant without having to use Crisco, cornstarch, or p.s. I read the thread last night & ordered one!
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=697786&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

I haven't personally heard of "wiping your cake down with Crisco". Crisco may be used to make the rolling out part manageable, store leftover fondant, etc. . I have tried all 3 methods at least once: crisco/cs/ps when rolling it out, but it gets absorbed into the fondant. All I've seen to bring it to a final finish is to rub with clean dry hands, clean dry brush, or use a steamer.

shannycakers Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 2:24pm
post #10 of 12

hmm i will have to try the steamer on it next time, i got the wiping down idea from a cake dvd of sugar ed productions. i love how it gives a nice shiny finish and helps withthe elephant skin,,,BUT i did just buy the mat, and have not used it yet..

AngelFood4 Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 2:42pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:

Crisco is greasy making it difficult for paint to stick to it (just like how water beads up on a waterproof surface) and dust to stick to it evenly. Next time, try rubbing the shortening off as much as possible and maybe dust it very lightly with PS and let it sit for a few hours to dry out (the drier the surface the better to paint on and the more even dusting will be)....Or if you like using crisco to roll out the fondant, dust the top of it with cornstarch, roll it onto a large rolling pin then unroll it over the cake so the crisco covered surface is on the bottom and up against the cake.

Apti Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 2:56pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:

hmm i will have to try the steamer on it next time, i got the wiping down idea from a cake dvd of sugar ed productions. i love how it gives a nice shiny finish and helps withthe elephant skin,,,BUT i did just buy the mat, and have not used it yet..

You got a Mat too! I can't wait to get mine. Let me know what you think about it and we'll share Mat stories.

AngelFood, good idea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%