Need Help Asap! (Fillings And Storing) Thanks :)

Decorating By BellaBean0509 Updated 2 Oct 2010 , 12:37am by BellaBean0509

BellaBean0509 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaBean0509 Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 9:43pm
post #1 of 6

Hello! I am making a baby shower cake, the person wants to pick up the cake saturday evening, but won't need it til sunday. My concerns are: 1. If i'm using a peanut butter filling that has pudding in it, does it need to be refrigerated? 2. The cake is going to be fondant covered, can it be refrigerated if the fillings require it?? 3. I'm afraid of the cake sinking over night. It's 2 tiers and I will use dowels, but i've had problems before where i've used dowels, but the cake still sinks and the dowels end up poking up through the cake. Any suggestions would be tremendously appreciated!! Thanks so much!!

5 replies
cakemama2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemama2010 Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 9:54pm
post #2 of 6

I'm on the fence about the fillings, but you should use a cake board in between tiers to alleviate sinking. That way the dowels support the board and the board supports the top tier.

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 10:08pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemama2010

I'm on the fence about the fillings, but you should use a cake board in between tiers to alleviate sinking. That way the dowels support the board and the board supports the top tier.

Ditto. Are you using cake boards betweent eh layers? If not you are just providing a spear through the cake.

I always refigerate my fondant cakes, even though most on this site say not to. Just let it come to room temp slowly adn tellthem not to touch it before it come to temp. Without knowing allthe ingredients in your fillings I can't say weither refigeration would be needed or not. Just becaues it has pudding doesn't mean it woudl require refigeration. What else is in it? Sugar is an amazing preservative!!!

BellaBean0509 Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 10:14pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2twogrlz

Quote:

Ditto. Are you using cake boards betweent eh layers? If not you are just providing a spear through the cake.

I always refigerate my fondant cakes, even though most on this site say not to. Just let it come to room temp slowly adn tellthem not to touch it before it come to temp. Without knowing allthe ingredients in your fillings I can't say weither refigeration would be needed or not. Just becaues it has pudding doesn't mean it woudl require refigeration. What else is in it? Sugar is an amazing preservative!!!

Thanks for the quick responses. The PB filling is just 1pkg of vanilla instant pudding, milk and PB. The other filling is a strawberry buttercream filling. Do I need to cover the cake board in anything when using it between the layers? Thanks again!

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 10:58pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaBean0509

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2twogrlz

Quote:

I cover mine in press n seal, but most don't.

Thanks for the quick responses. The PB filling is just 1pkg of vanilla instant pudding, milk and PB. The other filling is a strawberry buttercream filling. Do I need to cover the cake board in anything when using it between the layers? Thanks again!

BellaBean0509 Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 12:37am
post #6 of 6

I may have answered my own question now- I changed my strawberry cream filling and it now has whipping cream in it... which will definately require refrigeration correct?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%