How To Make Gum Paste Leaves...with Veins

Decorating By julesh268 Updated 2 Oct 2010 , 1:24am by julesh268

julesh268 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julesh268 Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 8

My mom has requested that I make a cake for her 75th birthday. Her theme is fall leaves. Problem, I need the right tools. I was thinking something along the pme plungers, but can't find anything that are leaves. I see the veiner sets, but don't know how to use them and there are no directions on the sites to give me an idea of how they work. Then , I also need a leaf cut out as well.

I am hoping to oak and maple leaves at the very least. I know that Michaels carries a small pme leaf plunger in their clay section so I will check that out.

So, can anyone help me figure out how to make very realistic looking leaves?

7 replies
cakeladyatLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyatLA Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 7:02pm
post #2 of 8

In the bakery I used to work at they did fall leaves using dark chocolate, milk chocolate, hazelnut chocolate and white chocolate leaves, they woul wash the leaves and spread the chocolate on the back, let dry and they were ready to go. saves money on a one time thing. Good luck.

julesh268 Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 7:22pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeladyatLA

In the bakery I used to work at they did fall leaves using dark chocolate, milk chocolate, hazelnut chocolate and white chocolate leaves, they woul wash the leaves and spread the chocolate on the back, let dry and they were ready to go. saves money on a one time thing. Good luck.

Thanks for the tip!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 7:34pm
post #4 of 8

Hi, just get you some cheap maple and oak cookie cutters, roll out your fondant or g/p. , cut out, then vein with the dresden and veining tool. Use the smaller end.veining end) Wilton sells these tools. That is how i was taught , before all these silicone veiner,etc. came out. Just look at the leaf and vein like the leaf. Sometimes, the silk flowers and leaves, have a good veining on them and you can also press your fondant or g/p leaf with that. hth after they dry, dust them fall colors. done this so many times in the past

Moondance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moondance Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 9:04pm
post #5 of 8

leaf veiners usually come in 2 halves - roll your coloured paste quite thinly, and cut out your leaf shapes. Lift carefully and lay on the bottom half of the veiner, place the top half over it and press firmly. Carefully remove and lay on foam to dry.....then dust with you autumn colours icon_smile.gif if you lay them on crumpled kitchen paper, you can make the leaves look very realistic because they'll dry with wavy edges icon_biggrin.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 9:13pm
post #6 of 8

Look for Sculpey Studio leaf cutters and veiners. I found them at Joann's in the clay aisle. Each set was $10 and had a variety of leaves and the veiners for each size. They work really well...I just roll out the paste, press the veiner into it, then cut out the shape, thin the edges a tiny bit with a ball tool, and dry on foil dusted with cornstarch.

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 9:19pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Look for Sculpey Studio leaf cutters and veiners. I found them at Joann's in the clay aisle. Each set was $10 and had a variety of leaves and the veiners for each size. They work really well...I just roll out the paste, press the veiner into it, then cut out the shape, thin the edges a tiny bit with a ball tool, and dry on foil dusted with cornstarch.

Agreed. I have several Sculpey sets and I think they're incredibly easy to use. Plus, if you have a coupon, they're quite reasonably priced. I got some on clearance for under $3.

julesh268 Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 1:24am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringFlour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Agreed. I have several Sculpey sets and I think they're incredibly easy to use. Plus, if you have a coupon, they're quite reasonably priced. I got some on clearance for under $3.

Fantastic! I will check this out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%