Cricut Personal Electronic Cutter

Decorating By shearpamela Updated 8 Oct 2010 , 6:24pm by shearpamela

shearpamela Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 6:15pm
post #1 of 5

I am a home baker and right now making cakes for friends and family, but I would love to be able to make designs on my cakes using the Cricut.
I just cannot justify the big bucks right now!
Has anyone used the small one for cakes? I saw it on sale at Michaels and almost bought it impulsively, then decided to wait and ask all of you icon_smile.gif

4 replies
psmith Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 5

I have the small one. I use it for cakes and I'm a hobby baker only. You have to modify it for 'caking', keep it dedicated for only food, and the cutting space is smaller than the Expressions or Cake but for my purposes it is enough. The last cake I used it on is in my photos. It is the kokeshi doll.

shearpamela Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 10:46pm
post #3 of 5

How do you modify it for caking? I don't need it for anything else other than cakes.I think it would be plenty big enough for what I do. Your doll looks fantastic! Very encouraging to see icon_smile.gif

psmith Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 10:53pm
post #4 of 5

I had to remove the black grommet looking things that are on the feeder bar. They easily cut off or can possibly be moved over to the side. If you don't move them they will leave a line on the fondant. You also need to buy the deep cut blade (in the blue housing). The mat that comes with the Cricut is covered with a sticky substance so that paper stays on. You'll need to remove that before you can use it for fondant. I scrubbed mine in hot soapy water and it came off with a little elbow grease. That is about it. You'll be ready to go after that. icon_smile.gif

shearpamela Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 6:24pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks! I saw one today at Michaels for 99.00 so I went ahead and bought it - I sure hope I can figure it out, but it looks like it can be lots of fun.
What cartridges do you recommend?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%