Cake Texture Is Soggy/not Baked But It Is Fully Baked!!help

Decorating By divinecc Updated 3 Oct 2010 , 8:42pm by divinecc

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 3:30pm
post #1 of 8

Sorry it's a little long but I would like other peoples opinions: I use the WASC recipe (bake about a week before. I press them a little bit to level top, torte and freeze) Indydebis' BC (filled and crumb coat) along with strawberry filling:

2 1/2 c strawberries, 1/2 c sugar 2 1/2-3TBS cornstarch bring all to a rolling boil, boil 2 additional minutes (I usually go about 4 minutes) and cool.

After I fill the cakes (very thin layer of BC and a layer of filling) I really don't use that much filling. I top with a tile to settle for 3-4 hrs, cover with fondant decorate and it goes out the next day.

Lately when my cakes are cut they stick and gum up on the knife pretty bad and when you taste it, it is seems under-baked but I'm pretty sure they are fully baked. I notice the top layer where the strawberry filling doesn't rest on top is still a cake like texture so I am wondering if between the 3 layers the filling is making it soggy. I can see between the layers where it looks like the cake has disintegrated a bit underneath the BC and filling. I know a lot of people use a filling recipe similar to this one with no problems. It is so embarrassing. Before I really knew what I was doing I would only do one layer of frosting and filling between the two layers of cake and it didn't get soggy. I did use a different recipe for the BC then but I'm not sure that's the problem.

Anyways I am really frustrated, I love the taste of WASC and my filling I don't want to change it. Any ideas of what might be happening??? Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 11:41pm
post #2 of 8

how soon are you unwrapping your cakes after you take them out the freezer?

divinecc Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 3:32pm
post #3 of 8

i probably let them sit on the counter for about 30 minutes or less. Just enough time to get my cake boards, icing and filling ready......

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 8:54pm
post #4 of 8

You may want to let them come back to room temp before you unwrap them.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 9:49pm
post #5 of 8

If your filling is liquidy you might want to put a very thin coating of buttercream between the filling and the cake, just so the filling doesn't seep into the cake

divinecc Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 1:32am
post #6 of 8

I will have to try letting them come to room temp but I love handling them when frozen. So filling them frozen would make it soggy. I always put a thin layer of buttercream between filling and cake. The filling isn't runny though I always boil the heck out of it just to be sure!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 3:12pm
post #7 of 8

When I want to handle my cakes partially frozen, I let them come to room temp first, fully wrapped so the condensation forms on the outside of the wrapping rather than on the cake. Then, I unwrap the cake and place it in the freezer, unwrapped, for 30 minutes or more. The cake is nice and firm and not soggy at all.

divinecc Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 8:42pm
post #8 of 8

Good idea, i will have to try it Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%