How Do I Add Edible Images Onto Grass

Decorating By Tlcs Updated 2 Oct 2010 , 11:10am by Tlcs

Tlcs Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 3:12am
post #1 of 5

Hello everyone, I am making a sheet cake and using the grass tip to cover the top so it looks like---you guessed it grass icon_smile.gif. Because of the event I want to add some edible images, a logo and pictures of people. I am thinking of putting the pictures on fondant so they are a little more firm and I'd like to stand them up in the grass---somehow. That's the first "how do I".

The second is do I put the edible image logo on the grass or on the icing first and then plant the grass (ha ha) all around it.

Any ideas or suggestions are much appreciated. icon_smile.gif

4 replies
arudesu Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 5:47am
post #2 of 5

I'm assuming you're wanting to put the images (once on fondant squares/other shapes) onto the cake so they stand up like signs. Personally I'd grab a couple of toothpicks or candy/lollipop sticks and place them in the fondant while it's still pliable and let them dry. Then you can stand them upright into the cake.

Or if you mean simply laying the fondant images against the sides of the cake, just use a little buttercream as glue on the backs of the fondant shapes.

Either way, use the grass last. That way if you have a mishap you don't have as much green smeared everywhere icon_rolleyes.gif

Posting a link just in case I've mucked up some wording. Hope this helps.
http://i55.tinypic.com/104mdmg.png

Tlcs Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 11:29am
post #3 of 5

Hi arudesu and thank you for your reply. Yes, I was wondering how to get the pictures to stand up like signs. I'll give that a try.

DianeLM Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 12:58pm
post #4 of 5

I agree with arudesu's advice for making the signs. You could even glue a stick to the back of the dried fondant sign with royal icing or melted chocolate.

However... I would do the grass first, then add the signs, especially if they're supposed to be down in the grass. It will be difficult to pipe around the signs. If you've made a placement mistake, you'll know before the sign hits the grass. Pull it out and try again. icon_smile.gif

Tlcs Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 11:10am
post #5 of 5

Thank you DianeLM

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%